Menu

MySQL Error: Can't call commit when autocommit=true

Yang Li
2014-01-13
2014-01-22
  • Yang Li

Yang Li - 2014-01-13

I am using ha-jdbc2.0.15 with MySQL5.1.58. I have a system with three nodes each nodes has a database and Tomcat server running web application. The web application communicate all three database on each nodes. When I power off the second node, the database on third node is deactivated as well due to the error "Can't call commit when autocommit=true". After more investigation, the connection has autoCommit=false before execute commit method. It looks like the ha-jdbc reset that value or recreate new jdbc connection during deactivating another database.

I tried add <property name="relaxAutoCommit">true</property> as a MySQL JDBC connection property in ha-jdbc configuration, however that attribute is still false after the underneath jdbc connection created.

Does anybody has any idea or same issue?

• Yang Li

Yang Li - 2014-01-14

For more information, our ha-jdbc configuration is using driver based database connection with three databases. In Tomcat server.xml file we have a dbcp data source configured, in our application start up we initialized another two BasicDataSource and one of them will be closed after server start up. However I found all the MySQL jdbc properties in ha-jdbc config file are skipped during creating driver based database connections. At line of 102 in net.sf.hajdbc.sql.Driver.java, the properties passed to jdbc driver only have user/password.

Thanks for any help.

• Paul Ferraro

Paul Ferraro - 2014-01-20

Please retry this with HA-JDBC 3.0.0. This should work correctly.

• Yang Li

Yang Li - 2014-01-21

Thanks Paul. I will try 3.0 in next product release. I have another question for you.

In your document, there are two examples of ha-jdbc configuration:
    1. the driver based
    2. the datasource based
    Which one is better stability in general? In our product we chose a little bit different configuration. We have driver based ha-jdbc-clusterID.xml file, then we have tomcat DataSource configured with driverClassName="net.sf.hajdbc.sql.Driver" url="jdbc:ha-jdbc:clusterID". Then in our java code we get connection from DataSource and underneath connection is ha-jdbc connection.

Is there any issue or disadvantage with such configuration? Did you test such configuration? Thanks.

• Paul Ferraro

Paul Ferraro - 2014-01-22

There are no stability differences between the 2 types of database configuration you listed. In reality, there are 4 ways one could configure HA-JDBC, depending on the root object to be proxied, i.e. javax.sql.Driver, javax.sql.DataSource, javax.sql.ConnectionPoolDataSource, javax.sql.XADataSource. The latter 2 are less common, and would only be used within the context of an application server's configuration.

Tomcat adds a layer of complexity to this, since it instruments DataSources defined via <Resource type="javax.sql.DataSource"/> with connection pooling. Consequently, this configuration results in a connection pool of HA-JDBC connections, where each connection in the pool is really a connection to each database in your cluster.

Alternatively, you could configure a connection pool per database, and configure HA-JDBC to proxy the DataSource for each pool. To do this, configure the pool directly in your ha-jdbc configuration file per database, using org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource, com.mchange.v2.c3p0.ComboPooledDataSource, or similar.