gyachi segfault setup menu crash

Help
2008-11-02
2013-04-23
  • erehsawluap

erehsawluap - 2008-11-02

this is about the segfault problem in gyachi where you go into setup and click on save i have not been able to debug it still but i recently lookedi n /var/log/messages and found this everytime it seg faults i dont know if it will help but its a better idea than i had before here it is

Nov  2 02:32:49 mrhed kernel: gyachi[21562]: segfault at 0 ip 7f94000f5f30 sp 7fff08f17a78 error 4 in libc-2.7.so[7f940007b000+153000]

i hope it helps out or someone out there who knows better than i do

• Andrea Amerini

Andrea Amerini - 2008-11-02

Same here : kernel: gyachi[10422]: segfault at 0 ip b728b1a3 sp bfa18f7c error 4 in libc-2.7.so[b7219000+146000]
      Hope that can give some hint....
      I still can't compile with debug level enabled

• erehsawluap

erehsawluap - 2008-11-02

i looked it up its a problem with gtk aps using certain versions of libxml2 so i downgraded upgraded still the same problem after a recompile i tried to do a backtrace it just makes debuggers hang everytime i experience the crash even with debugging symbols ive had the same problems on bluewhite64 and slamd64 im all out of ideas

• Andrea Amerini

Andrea Amerini - 2008-11-02

Maybe a Slackware issue?? Also erehsawluap is using a Slackware based distro (Bluewhite 64).....

• Greg Hosler

Greg Hosler - 2010-07-29

1) What do you see when you do:

strings $(which gyachi) | grep "/share/gyachi"

2) what do you see when you ls that directory ?

3) assuming that there is a themes directory in "2", what do you see when you ls *that* directory ?

-Greg

• laserjock

laserjock - 2010-08-21

I also get a segment fault, that is what it says if I try and start it with Terminal.  I sure would like to be able to get it running, there doesn't seem to be any other chat client for Linux with Yahoo that will do webcam AND voice.  I am not an experienced Linux user, but I'd like to participate in finding out what might help to fix the problem.

• Greg Hosler

Greg Hosler - 2010-08-21

I need a stack trace if i'm to look at it.

Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit ?

-Greg

• laserjock

laserjock - 2010-08-21

64 bit.  How do I run a stack trace?  Sorry, I am not an experienced user, there is so much to learn in Linux still.

• laserjock

laserjock - 2010-08-21

When I attempt to do ./configure when attempting to manually compile, I get this at the end:

No package 'libgtkhtml-2.0' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
    installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GTKHTML_CFLAGS
    and GTKHTML_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
    See the pkg-config man page for more details.

How do I handle that?

• laserjock

laserjock - 2010-08-21

I get this when running the autogen:

onfigure.ac:15: warning: AC_RUN_IFELSE was called before AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS
    if no errors occured, run ./configure -enable-maintainer-mode

• laserjock

laserjock - 2010-08-21

Ok, somehow, even with errors in the configure, I got it running, HOWEVER, webcam upload doesn't work, I get this message:

The GyachI external webcam broadcaster could not be found:

/usr/libexec/gyachi/gyachi-upload

I am trying to figure out what to do…

• laserjock

laserjock - 2010-08-21

Ok, I can't seem to find the external webcam broadcaster download anywhere.  Is this a plugin, or is it supposed to be integrated in the GYahI install?  Hope I am not being too much of a PITA, just really want this to work!

• Greg Hosler

Greg Hosler - 2010-08-22

I am suspecting a distribution related issue, but at the moment, it is only a suspection.

As near as I can tell, from the few reports I have seen (as compared to the relatively large use base): Most (all?) reports are coming from one or several distros, and most (all) are coming from 64 bit installs.

In order to generate a stack trace, you need to enable debugging symbols (compile switch "-g", link switch also "-g").

Most dirtributions have alternate version of packages which will NEED to be installed for a successful compile of gyachi. The alternate version is usually a "devel" version of the package. ANY reference to PKGCFG  or pkg-config (or related) usually means that the associated devel package needed for compilation / linking was not found, and needs to be installed, before running ./configure

regarding the external webcam broadcaster, look thru your make output to see if it was actually built (should be the webcam directory in the gyachi source tree). I believe that this will always be build, regardless of libraries found. However, compilation errors may result in it not getting installed. Note that for proper webcam support you need the libv4l package and associated devel package installed. The target directory for the installed uploader will be  /usr/libexec/gyachi/gyachi-upload or /usr/local/libexec/gyachi/gyachi-upload, depending upon your ./configure settings. The default is to use /usr/local. This is changed to /usr with the configure option "-prefix=/usr -exec-prefix=/usr"

-Greg

• laserjock

laserjock - 2010-08-22

Thanks, Greg.  I ran the tarball install as best as I could and it got the webcam working after I copied the uploader to a made directory libexec.  Probably NOT the right way to do things, but it is working.  I am trying to learn linux commands right now.  You guys that write this stuff are amazing and I deeply appreciate it!

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks