These problems were found by EddyP at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=381263#68
If they were fixed, GYachE Improved would benefit from both the open source status point of view and the availability on most distributions.
I took the source from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=158490&package_id=177556
and ran a licensecheck on it. It seems there are:
- many GPL-ed and LGPL-ed files with an outdated FSF address (not a big problem)
- a couple of BSD (2 clause) files - that's OK
- a couple of MPL-ed files used for SHA sums, apparently - these are a little
problematic since MPL is incompatible with GPL, but can be probably
reimplemented/replaced with GPL-ed variants
- 37 files with UNKNOWN copyright or *NO* copyright statements (2 GPL-ed files
from lib are detected incorrectly as UNKNOWN):
- one is the autogen.sh file - so is probably the same license as the project
- 5 files in the client directory; one of these is what appears some icons
definition and the rest seem related to md5 and crc32 sum calculation
- the md5 sum related files seem to be
"Copyright (C) 1999 Aladdin Enterprises. All rights reserved.", so needs
- the crc32 files seem to be "mostly copied from the PNG specification" and
are copyright "(1999-Oct-17-Thu) Adam M. Costello <firstname.lastname@example.org>"
- 31 files in gyvoice - these seem to be more problematic and some of them
appear to be taken from:
- avifile/plugins/libwin32/loader/* which was "mostly taken from wine"
- mplayer or ffmpeg
The person interested in packaging gyachi should probably take care to clear up
the copyright information for these last files and replace the MPL sha
implementation (talk to upstream). It would probably be a good idea to try to use
the ffmpeg/avifile libraries instead of keeping an embedded forked copy (still
there are some changes in the embedded copy).
Log in to post a comment.