GXSM installation on 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Yong Lee
2013-09-23
2013-10-01
  • Yong Lee

Yong Lee - 2013-09-23

Hello,

Can someone tell me a proper procedure to install Gxsm on a 64-bit Ubuntu?
    I was able to install Gxsm using sudo apt-get command from the repository, but Gxsm fails to run.
    It seems that I will need to install a sranger-mk23 kernel for USB, but I don't know how.
    Running "sudo apt-get install gxsm sranger sranger-modules-mk23-dkms" results in error due to some type of kernel error.
    "sudo apt-get install linux-headers" command for the linux kernel I got by running uname -r does not run either.
    Any help is appreciated...

Regards,
    Yong Lee

• Thorsten Wagner

Thorsten Wagner - 2013-09-24

The short answer is that the sranger-kernel-modules looks for kernel packages like linux-image-generic-pae and linux-headers-generic-pae which are not available on a 64bit system. The pae packages are a kind of memory manager Extension for the kernel so you can access larger RAMs even with a 32 bit kernel.

You can try to install the package with the --force option and then do the dkms stuff yourself. Second option: Checkout the source from the CVS and do everything by hand.

Thorsten :-)

• Yong Lee

Yong Lee - 2013-09-24

Hello Thorsten.

Thank you for the help.
    I ran the following command in the terminal:
    sudo apt-get -f install gxsm sranger sranger-modules-mk23-dkms

But it still complains that I have unmet dependencies.
    Did I following your suggestion correctly?
    Also, if I were to install Gxsm from CVS, how should I properly get rid of the installation using apt-get?

Thanks,
    Yong

• Thorsten Wagner

Thorsten Wagner - 2013-09-24

As you have not installed the package, no problem at all. You can uninstall any package via apt-get purge <package Name="">. That will erase any trace of the package on your harddisc.

To install form CVS:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@sranger.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/sranger Login

If asked for the Password just press enter.

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@sranger.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/sranger co -P SRanger/modules-mk23-3.0.x/

Follow the instructions of the README and INSTALL file downloaded. You may have to replace the kernel in the file pathes by your actual on. Also replace modules-mk2-2.6.x by modules-mk23-3.0.x

• Yong Lee

Yong Lee - 2013-09-26

Hello Thorsten,

I tried to follow your suggestion, but I am still struggling.
    When I run the following script (my linux kernel version is shown),

sudo make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-<your kernel="" version=""> SUBDIRS=$PWD modules_install

I get the following result.

make: Entering directory /usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.0-30-generic' INSTALL /home/spmlab/SRanger/modules-mk23-3.0.x/usb-sranger_mk23.ko Can't read private key DEPMOD 3.8.0-30-generic make: Leaving directory/usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.0-30-generic'

What am I doing wrong?

Yong

• Yong Lee

Yong Lee - 2013-09-26

Hello.

Could it be because my kernel is 3.8.0-30-generic?
    Do I need to roll back the kernel to 3.0.x version?

Yong

• Thorsten Wagner

Thorsten Wagner - 2013-09-26

Hello Yong.

I actually never got a message like this but I assume that this is related to your very recent kernel of version 3.8 - my 12.04.2 LTS has 3.5 or so. Ubuntu has changed the kernels and the xorg drivers while updating to 12.04.3. So maybe your problems are just related to the newer kernel version and some incompatibilities and the source of the kernel module has to be modified. We had this trouble already a lot of times.

• Yong Lee

Yong Lee - 2013-10-01

Hello Thorsten,

It turns out the latest linux kernel was the problem. I used Ubuntu version 12.04.2 LTS and everything worked out like you suggested.
    Now I have a different question.
    I am trying to install the PACscope feature.
    I followed the instructions in the /SRanger/PACscope/ folder. I unpacked the tar file, cd into plotmm folder and ran bootstrap and configure and finally built via make. But when I ran ./PACscope --help, all I get is "PACscope: command not found" error.
    What did I do wrong?

Yong

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks