Thick Line Scan

2012-10-22
2012-11-09
  • Martin Scheufens

Hi, for my master thesis I use gxsm for such a while, thanks for such a nice and easy working program! Now I was wondering if there is any option like "thick line scan". What I'm looking for is the following: I need to measure the height of several steps. For having a good result I have to take the average of many measurements. It would be much easier, if the line would be broader, that means, would be a sum of many parallel lines. Such a function is also nice to watch a structure without the noise. Is there any function like this in GXSM?
    There's also another question: Using Plane Sub my picture is wonderful flat. But if I do the line scan now, there are still just the two option of the rough data without any subtraction or a line regression. For example having a step, it is still not possible to have the areas next to the step flat. They still have a sloop like in the rough data or the line regression creates another slope due to the step. Did I miss the opportunity to use the subtraction of the PlaneSub for the line scan?
    Thanks a lot for your help!

• Percy Zahl

Percy Zahl - 2012-10-22

Hi! Glad to hear you get going with it well, I think once you know it, it's very efficient working with it!

Your "thick" line actually is just a few clicks away!!!
    setup a "Show Line" object (right click in scan, objects... then click and align it as you want it), then middle click on the line or arrow(s) to get the object menu and select properties! Then just adjust "path width". Enjoy!

Sorry, I do not exactly understand you 2nd issue, can only guess: Are you using/talking about the "Pane Sub" display mode? You must always make use only to have exactly three point markers, else at least you do not know which points are eventually used (it always the "first 3" in list, but you can not tell simply).
    Or you talk about a line profile? (THis plan sub does only apply to the display of the image, not applied to the data and what you see in a profile! For this to work you have post process the data/scan later via the math menu and apply a plane subtraction to it -- then the profile will be "flatened".

• Percy Zahl

Percy Zahl - 2012-10-22

One more hint:

If you hardware/piezo amplifier allows to add a signal with a reasonable gain to "Z" you may want to use the real time plane / slope correction -- then your data will be "flat" from the beginning as you can correct for sample tilt!
    (See Advanced folder) And Z-Offset output.

You adjust this life in two steps 1st flatten X, then scan 90deg rot and flatten Y while watching the line profile with line reg OFF and tuning X/Y slopes.

• Martin Scheufens

Thank you very much for your quick and detailed response. You helped me a lot. The program is so full of wonderful options that you sometimes miss one.

• Martin Scheufens

After a lot of progress due to your help I've got now a new problem: Is it possible to add a scale bar to the pictures? A scale bar for x and y inside the picture is of interest, but also a scale bar for z, that shows the meaning of the used coulours. Thank you!!