Need Steps for installation of GSXM2 and SR-MK2 A810 in ubuntu 12.04 LTS

danuss
2012-12-19
2013-01-10
  • danuss

danuss - 2012-12-19

Hi everyone....

can any one send me the proper documentation for installing GSXM2 and SR-MK2 A810 in ubuntu 12.04 LTS version.

my email id: dananjeyachetty2009@gmail.com

• Thorsten Wagner

Thorsten Wagner - 2012-12-19

You can use directly an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS remix which is available for downloading at http://www.ventiotec.de/linux/GXSM-Linux.iso

You can also install the Ubuntu packages using apt-get. Do to that you have to open a terminal and type:

sudo apt-add-repositry totto/gxsm
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install gxsm sranger sranger-modules-mk23-dkms

That's it. The last call should also install all the needed dependencies. I assume that you have an SR-MK2 or SR-MK3pro DSP board.

If you want to develop your own code, you should download the source via CVS from SF.net. In this case you have to make sure that you meet all the dependencies: autotools-dev, libnetcdf-dev, gnome-common, libglib2.0-dev, libgnomeui-dev, libgtk-3-dev, libquicktime-dev, libgtkglext1-dev, freeglut3-dev, libfftw3-dev, python2.7-dev, bison, byacc, libnetcdf6, libglib2.0-0,libglib2.0-bin, libgnomeui-0, libgnomeui-common, libgtk-3-0, libgtk-3-bin, libgtk-3-common, libfftw3-3, libquicktime2, quicktime-utils, libgtkglext1, freeglut3

Please install also the gtkmm-dev and plotmm-dev packages. I do not have the exact names right now, but just try to find them using for example synaptic.

Then checkout the gxsm-2.0 source code via
    cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@gxsm.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/gxsm login
    cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@gxsm.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/gxsm co -P Gxsm-2.0

... enter the directory and compile it:
    cd Gxsm-2.0
    ./autogen.sh
    make
    sudo make install

For the SRanger stuff you have to do similar but replace gxsm by sranger and Gxsm-2.0 by SRanger. I think the SRanger source code will need the additional packages: libgtkdatabox-0.9.1-1-dev, xsltproc, libncurses5-dev, libgtkdatabox-0.9.1-1, libncurses5, ncurses-base, ncurses-bin.

The last part missing are the kernel modules. You can savely install the debian packages which should also install the appropiate linux-headers.

Just a final note: Please do not mix up the installation via apt-get and from CVS because the binaries are stored in different locations: /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin.

If you stuck in one of the steps above, please post in the forum.

Thorsten :-)

P.S.: The section in the manual is already updated on this but the manual itself is not released.

• danuss

danuss - 2012-12-19

Hi,
    my Sranger is SR MK2-A810,
    is the same steps what ever you mentioned above will work for my signal ranger.....

• danuss

danuss - 2012-12-19

and one more thing,
    in my Linux headers are like this mentioned below...

linux-headers-3.2.0-23
    linux-headers-3.2.0-23-generic-pae
    linux-headers-3.2.0-35
    linux-headers-3.2.0-35-generic-pae

suggest me which headers i need to install..

• Thorsten Wagner

Thorsten Wagner - 2012-12-19

Try uname -a to find out your kernel version.

• danuss

danuss - 2012-12-20

hi,

after doing "uname -a" my kernel version is 3.2.0-35-generic-pae

i have not installed kernel modules packages..

please tell me the procedure for Kernel instllation and signal ranger installlation also(SR MK2-A810)..

Thanks..

• Thorsten Wagner

Thorsten Wagner - 2012-12-20

The best way is via apt-get:

sudo apt-add-repositry ppa:totto/gxsm # If you haven't done yet. Please note the correction to the above posting
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install sranger-modules-mk23-dkms

You can also download the package from https://launchpad.net/~totto/+archive/gxsm/+files/sranger-modules-mk23-dkms_0.0.1-0ubuntu13_all.deb and install it manually via sudo dpkg -i sranger-modules-mk23-dkms_0.0.1-0ubuntu13_all.deb

You can check if the kernel modul is loaded by

lsmod | grep usb

If everything is okay, the list should contain some sranger related entry.

• Gorky

Gorky - 2013-01-08

I tried to hook up a mk3 pll via usb to the ubuntu 12.04,
    by gxsm using the apt-get install procedure.

even after correctin some - _ mix up in the dev\sranger .... names

it seems to miss No such file or directory: '/dev/sranger_mk2_0'

I get the following error what should I do?

hasselbach@ubuntu:/usr/bin$ python mk2_spm_control.py
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "mk2_spm_control.py", line 2934, in <module>
    magic = open_sranger()
    File "mk2_spm_control.py", line 209, in open_sranger
    sr = open (sr_dev_path, "rw")
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/sranger_mk2_0'
    hasselbach@ubuntu:/usr/bin$ gxsm2 --force-configure
    GXSM-DebugLevel/PI-DebugLevel/ForceGDefaults: 0/0/0

(gxsm2:17343): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_strdelimit: assertion `string != NULL' failed

(gxsm2:17343): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_strdelimit: assertion `string != NULL' failed

(gxsm2:17343): GLib-CRITICAL : g_strdelimit: assertion `string != NULL' failed
    DSPDev :/dev/sranger_mk2_0
    DSPType:SRangerMK2:SPM
    SR-MK2/3_HwI HardwareInterface Init
    probing for MK2...
    HWI-DEV-MK2-I
    HwI SR-MK2 probing
    HWI-DEV-MK2-E01-- can not open device >/dev/sranger_mk2_0<, please check permissions.
    Error: No such file or directory
    HWI-DEV-MK2-E01-- can not open device >/dev/sranger_mk2_0<, please check permissions.
    probing mark id: MK--1 identified.
    HWI-DEV-MK2-BYBY -- closing all DSP links.
    probing for MK3...
    HWI-DEV-MK3-I** HwI SR-MK3 probing
    HWI-DEV-MK3-E01-- can not open device >/dev/sranger_mk2_0<, please check permissions.
    Error: No such file or directory
    hasselbach@ubuntu:/usr/bin$ sudo python mk2_spm_control.py
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "mk2_spm_control.py", line 2934, in <module>
    magic = open_sranger()
    File "mk2_spm_control.py", line 209, in open_sranger
    sr = open (sr_dev_path, "rw")
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/sranger_mk2_0'

could you please advise me,

yours
    Gorky

• Thorsten Wagner

Thorsten Wagner - 2013-01-08

Please check via

lsmod | grep usb

if the kernel modul for the mk3 is loaded. It might happen after an update of the kernel that the kernel moduls do not compile automatically as the kernel sources are missing.

To fix this try:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers

• Percy Zahl

Percy Zahl - 2013-01-08

Right, make sure

the usb-sranger_mk23 kernel moduel is installed and loaded (as Thorsten mentionend, it has as of now manually to be updated if you update your kernel version)

Also check if you have proper permissions, they are set automatically only if you have the proper "rules" file installed.
    Place "49-sranger.rules" into /etc/udev/rules.d/ -- or where ever your dist. managed those.

Enjoy!

• Gorky

Gorky - 2013-01-09

thanks a lot. turns out some libraries were missing. I tried a complete reinstall and updated all modules.
    I checked with lsmod | grep usb, now it shows the mk3 module.
    Now. I get the gxsm shortcut on the unity launcher and the software is running and there are no crashes.

• Gorky

Gorky - 2013-01-10

the following windows are running PACscope --tune gives a nice spectrum of the tuning fork resonance,
    a) but we could not find out how to set the amplitude of excitation.
    b) with the PACscope --scope we got some activity on the window, but could not figure out, what it meant......

c) how does this interact with the PAC in the GXSM program?
    we would like to use some micos stepper motors fort scanning,
    d) what is the best way to attack this?

thank you very much,

Gorky