installation of GXSM on Ubuntu 14.02 LTS 64-bit

Yong Lee
2014-08-28
2014-09-04
  • Yong Lee

Yong Lee - 2014-08-28

Hello,

Can someone post a step by step procedure for installing GXSM on 64-bit Ubuntu 14.02 LTS?
    I have tried the 64-bit LIVE DVD remix, but for some reason GXSM does not detect my MK3PRO-A810 PLL board?
    I also tried 32-bit version of remix DVD. The installation seems to go without a problem and GXSM correctly detects my SR MK3PRO-A810 board, but PLL related STUFF is not working. I cannot monitor PLL parameters (nothing chages) and also cannot get the resonance tuning app to get working.
    Any help/suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Yong

• Percy Zahl

Percy Zahl - 2014-08-28

Did you followed the manual? PAC control enabled via Gxsm?

(Yes there is currently a path/plugin/problem with eh 64bit install via Live DVD. It all works on 64bit if installed via SVN/from source)

• Yong Lee

Yong Lee - 2014-08-28

Yes. I did enable PAC control.
    I know the hardware works ok as I checked with windows PLL software from SoftdB. Somehow it just does not work inside GXSM at the moment...I also tried installing GXSM via APT, but this also did not find my hardware either.

Can you tell me how to install GXSM via SVN?

• Yong Lee

Yong Lee - 2014-08-28

Yes, I did.
    By the way, I installed GXSM using 32-bit version of LIVE DVD.
    I want to try installing GXSM via svn instead of using LIVE DVDs. Can you tell me how to do this via svn?

• Yong Lee

Yong Lee - 2014-08-31

Can someone how to correctly configure, compile, and install gxsm and sranger after getting the source from svn?
    It seems that I will need to install some packages after the initial installation of Ubuntu 14.02 LTS. I would appreciate if someone can also let me know what packages are required for installation of gxsm and sranger.

Thanks.

• Percy Zahl

Percy Zahl - 2014-08-31

Depending on your distribution you will need to install the following packages:

install like:

"apt-get install autotools-dev libnetcdf-dev gnome-common ..."

for Ubuntu -- I assume this will also do for 14.02LTS:

14.04: debhelper (>= 9.0.0), autotools-dev, libnetcdf-dev, gnome-common, libglib2.0-dev, libgnomeui-dev, libgtk-3-dev, libquicktime-dev, libgtkglext1-dev, freeglut3-dev, libfftw3-dev, python2.7-dev, bison, byacc, libopencv-contrib-dev, libcv-dev, libopencv-core-dev, libpangomm-1.4-dev, libcairomm-1.0-dev, libatkmm-1.6-dev, subversion, gnome-devel, libgtkmm-3.0-dev, libopencv-dev, libopencv-highgui-dev, libopencv-imgproc-dev, libopencv-objdetect-dev, libopencv-video-dev, libgtkmm-2.4-dev, python-gobject-2-dev, libgtksourceview2.0-dev. libnetcdff5, libnetcdfc7, libnetcdfc++4, libcf0, libglib2.0-0,libglib2.0-bin, libgnomeui-0, libgnomeui-common, libgtk-3-0, libgtk-3-bin, libgtk-3-common, libfftw3-3, libquicktime2, libgtkglext1, freeglut3, gnome-icon-theme, python, xdg-utils, python-numpy, bash, sed, unity-services, devscripts, libopencv-core2.4, libopencv-contrib2.4, xdot, libxdot4, libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a, libpangomm-1.4-1, libcairomm-1.0-1, libatkmm-1.6-1, subversion, gnome-devel, libgtkmm-3.0-1, libopencv-highgui2.4, libopencv-imgproc2.4, libopencv-objdetect2.4, libopencv-video2.4, python-gobject-2, libgtksourceview2.0-0, libgtksourceview2.0-common, python-opencv, python-pydot, python-scipy, eog

or

12.04: debhelper (>= 9.0.0), autotools-dev, libnetcdf-dev, gnome-common, libglib2.0-dev, libgnomeui-dev, libgtk-3-dev, libquicktime-dev, libgtkglext1-dev, freeglut3-dev, libfftw3-dev, python2.7-dev, bison, byacc, libopencv-contrib-dev, libcv-dev, libopencv-core-dev, libpangomm-1.4-dev, libcairomm-1.0-dev, libatkmm-1.6-dev, subversion, gnome-devel, libgtkmm-3.0-dev, libopencv-dev, libopencv-highgui-dev, libopencv-imgproc-dev, libopencv-objdetect-dev, libopencv-video-dev, libgnomeuimm-2.6-dev, libgtkmm-2.4-dev, libglui-dev, python-gobject-2-dev, libgtksourceview2.0-dev, libnetcdf6, libglib2.0-0,libglib2.0-bin, libgnomeui-0, libgnomeui-common, libgtk-3-0, libgtk-3-bin, libgtk-3-common, libfftw3-3, libquicktime2, quicktime-utils, libgtkglext1, freeglut3, evince, gnome-icon-theme, python, xdg-utils, python-numpy, bash, sed, unity-services, devscripts, libopencv-core2.3, libopencv-contrib2.3, xdot, libxdot4, libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a, libpangomm-1.4-1, libcairomm-1.0-1, libatkmm-1.6-1, subversion, gnome-devel,libgtkmm-3.0-1, libopencv-highgui2.3, libopencv-imgproc2.3, libopencv-objdetect2.3, libopencv-video2.3, libgnomeuimm-2.6-1c2a, libglui2c2, python-gobject-2, libgtksourceview2.0-0, libgtksourceview2.0-common, python-opencv

--- when that is all done:

note: default install location is "./autogen.sh or later ./configure --prefix=/usr/local" and you also need to make sure to remove any old or other gxsm2 binary from any search path, check via "whereis gxsm2".
    The very first time you have to run autogen.sh from then on ./configure will do:

To build it in your Gxsm-2.0 base folder (gxsm-svn):

./autogen.sh [
    make -j8
    sudo make install

Last edit: Percy Zahl 2014-08-31
  • Yong Lee

Yong Lee - 2014-09-01

Hello Percy,

Thank you for the detailed procedure.
    Do I still need to compile and install sranger as well?
    I suppose that I need to load the USB driver for MK3-A810 as well. Am I right?

• Yong Lee

Yong Lee - 2014-09-04

Percy,

After getting the source from svn, I followed your instruction. But the compilation gets terminated with the message that says "fatal error: curses.h: no such file or directory #include <curses.h>...."
    I am trying to compile and install sranger from sranger-svn directory.

• Percy Zahl

Percy Zahl - 2014-09-04

There is no need to compile anything in "SRanger" -- beyond the particular kernel module you need (and nothing at all -- if already present).

For the MK3 you would only need to do a
    "make, sudo make install, sudo make load"

from here:
    pzahl@phenom:~/SVN/sranger-svn/SRanger/SR_MK2_MK3Pro/kernel-module/sranger-modules-mk23-0.0.1

PS:
    But BTW -- there is a package "ncurses-dev" or such -- well it is:
    libncurses5-dev

---- see how I find out:
    pzahl@phenom:~$ dpkg -S curses.h
    libslang2-dev:amd64: /usr/include/slcurses.h
    libpython2.7-dev:amd64: /usr/include/python2.7/py_curses.h
    libncurses5-dev:amd64: /usr/include/ncurses.h
    libncurses5-dev:amd64: /usr/include/curses.h

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks