Menu

GWT Highcharts roadmap

Cloudmu
2014-09-30
2015-09-25
  • Cloudmu

Cloudmu - 2014-09-30

Hi, Shawn and folks at Moxie Group, could you please share your roadmap for GWT Highcharts? It's a high quality code base but it seems the development has stagnated for quite a while, at least judging from outside. GWT Highcharts 1.6 was released over a year ago. Do you have plans for a new release that works with Highcharts 4.0?

Thanks and best regards.

• Shawn Quinn

Shawn Quinn - 2014-10-01

Thank you for the inquiry. We have been really loaded up with other work for the last couple of quarters, so our ability to add in some of the Highcharts 4.0 features has been slow. We do have one engineer here working on adding some of these features in this fall (including 3D Charts, Heatmaps, etc.), but it's not his full time job - so I'm expecting it will likely be later this year before we publish another major release. We do have a smaller 1.6.1 release coming that contains several bug fixes & minor enhancements.

Contributions are always welcome! Just go to the "Code -> Fork" option here in Source Forge if you're interested in contributing, and then create a pull request once you have something you'd like to consider to be merged back into the release.

Last edit: Shawn Quinn 2014-10-01
  • Cloudmu

Cloudmu - 2014-10-01

Shawn, thanks for the update. It's very encouraging that work is still being done. Regarding contributions and codebase, I believe only milestone releases (e.g. 1.6.0) are in SF, but there is no latest code in the master branch (except a minor release 1.6.0.1). Am I right?

It would be really helpful if your engineer can check in code regularly, so that the SF codebase is up to date. It's so much harder to branch off the one-year old milestone (1.6.0) and attempt to merge back with the main line of work.

Best regards.

Last edit: Cloudmu 2014-10-01
  • Anil Franklin

Anil Franklin - 2015-08-25

I have a similar question. Can we use gwt-highcharts with gwt2.7. I tried doing it. But I am getting exceptions where we use setOptions method. Any help for a way forward is appreciated. Thanks in advance

• Shawn Quinn

Shawn Quinn - 2015-08-26

We do use GWT Highcharts here in GWT 2.7 environments withouth trouble, so we're not currently aware of any compatibility issues. If you could post more information about the problem you're seeing though, someone may be able to better assist.

• Venardos Gonidakis

Hi there,

I am trying to use the last library (1.7.0) into a smartgwt project. The strange thing is that if i add Chart or a StockChart or something on the RootPanel no error occurs. I am talking about gwt development mode here. When i try to add such objects onto a tab or canvas or layout, then an exception occurs. "Assertion error" (i dont include the whole error string, because it is very lengthy). If i compile the project and run it using an application server then i can see charts. Is it the case? It is very time consuming for me to make a complicated GUI using Charts if a have to compile my project everytime i want to test something. Is there any solution? Thank you very much for any help you can provide !!!

• Venardos Gonidakis

I am trying to make my project run using Super Dev Mode. I created a new, clear GWT project, i chose Super Dev Mode through Run Configurations and i run the example-project succesfully. The problem begins when i update the gwt.xml (attached file) in order to use smartgwt, drawing, highcharts etc. I also put into "war/module_name" the "sc" directory with required scripts and updated the .html file including those scripts into <head>. Please find attached .html file as well and my new entrypoint file. This is the mistake that is produced. I hope you can help because i dont know what else to try in order to resolve this problem. Thank you so much for your great help.

THE ERROR:

Linking modules
    Bootstrap link for command-line module 'com.ide.weblms.Seannet_WebLMS'
    Linking module 'seannet_weblms'
    Invoking Linker Cross-Site-Iframe
    [ERROR] The Cross-Site-Iframe linker does not support <script> tags in the gwt.xml files, but the gwt.xml file (or the gwt.xml files which it includes) contains the following script tags:
    sc/modules/ISC_Core.js
    sc/modules/ISC_Foundation.js
    sc/modules/ISC_Containers.js
    sc/modules/ISC_Grids.js
    sc/modules/ISC_Forms.js
    sc/modules/ISC_RichTextEditor.js
    sc/modules/ISC_Calendar.js
    sc/modules/ISC_DataBinding.js
    sc/skins/Enterprise/load_skin.js
    In order for your application to run correctly, you will need to include these tags in your host page directly. In order to avoid this error, you will need to remove the script tags from the gwt.xml file, or add this property to the gwt.xml file: <set-configuration-property name="xsiframe.failIfScriptTag" value="FALSE"/>
    [ERROR] shell failed in doSlowStartup method
    Module setup completed in 5673 ms

THE gwt.xml
    <module rename-to="senet_weblms">

<inherits name="com.google.gwt.user.User"/>

<inherits name="com.smartgwt.SmartGwt" />
    <!-- <inherits name="com.smartgwt.SmartGwtNoScript"/> -->   
    <!-- inherits name="com.smartgwt.Drawing"/> -->
    <inherits name="org.moxieapps.gwt.highcharts.Highcharts"/>
                        <!-- <inherits name="com.smartgwt.PluginBridgesWidgets"/> -->
                        <!-- <inherits name="com.smartgwt.Charts"/>  ONLY in PRO edition -->

<!-- <inherits name="pl.balon.gwt.diagrams.Diagrams"/> -->

<entry-point class="com.ide.weblms.client.HighCharts_Example_1"/>

<add-linker name="xsiframe"/>

</module>

THE HTML FILE:
    <!doctype html>

<html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

<!--                                                               -->
    <!-- Consider inlining CSS to reduce the number of requested files -->
    <!--                                                               -->
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="Seannet_WebLMS.css">

<!--                                           -->
    <!-- Any title is fine                         -->
    <title>Web LMS</title>

<!-- START javascripts required for SUPER DEV MODE -->

<script  type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src=seannet_weblms/sc/modules/ISC_Calendar.js></script>
    <script  type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src=seannet_weblms/sc/modules/ISC_Containers.js></script>
    <script  type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src=seannet_weblms/sc/modules/ISC_Core.js></script>
    <script  type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src=seannet_weblms/sc/modules/ISC_DataBinding.js></script>
    <script  type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src=seannet_weblms/sc/modules/ISC_Drawing.js></script>
    <script  type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src=seannet_weblms/sc/modules/ISC_Forms.js></script>
    <script  type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src=seannet_weblms/sc/modules/ISC_Foundation.js></script>
    <script  type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src=seannet_weblms/sc/modules/ISC_Grids.js></script>
    <script  type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src=seannet_weblms/sc/modules/ISC_History.js></script>
    <script  type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src=seannet_weblms/sc/modules/ISC_PluginBridges.js></script>  
    <script  type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src=seannet_weblms/sc/modules/ISC_RichTextEditor.js></script>
    <script  type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src=seannet_weblms/sc/modules/ISC_Scheduler.js></script>
    <script  type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src=seannet_weblms/sc/modules/ISC_Workflow.js></script>

<!-- END javascripts required for SUPER DEV MODE -->

<!-- START LIBS necessary for HighCharts to run -->      
        <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="i_my_js/jquery-2.1.4.min.js"></script>        
        <!-- <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="i_my_js/highcharts.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="i_my_js/highcharts-more.js"></script> -->
    <!-- END LIBS necessary for HighCharts to run -->

<!-- START LIBS necessary for HighStock to run -->
        <!-- IMPORTANT if highstock is to be used then highcharts should be put in comments. IT REQUIRES jquery-2.1.4.min.js -->
        <!-- The highstock.js file includes all of the capabilities of the core "highcharts.js" file, so including it in your page allows 
             you to use both Chart and StockChart visualization simultaneously. -->
        <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="i_my_js/highstock.js"></script>  
    <!-- STOP LIBS necessary for HighStock to run -->

<!-- This script loads your compiled module.   -->
    <!-- If you add any GWT meta tags, they must   -->
    <!-- be added before this line.                -->
    <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="seannet_weblms/seannet_weblms.nocache.js"></script>

</head>

<body>

<!-- RECOMMENDED if your web app will not function without JavaScript enabled -->
    <noscript>
      <div style="width: 22em; position: absolute; left: 50%; margin-left: -11em; color: red; background-color: white; border: 1px solid red; padding: 4px; font-family: sans-serif">
        Your web browser must have JavaScript enabled
        in order for this application to display correctly.
      </div>
    </noscript>

<h1>Web Application Starter Project</h1>

<table align="center">
      <tr>
        <td colspan="2" style="font-weight:bold;">Please enter your name:</td>        
      </tr>
      <tr>
        <td id="nameFieldContainer"></td>
        <td id="sendButtonContainer"></td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
        <td colspan="2" style="color:red;" id="errorLabelContainer"></td>
      </tr>
    </table>

</body>
    </html>

Last edit: Venardos Gonidakis 2015-09-24
  • Shawn Quinn

Shawn Quinn - 2015-09-24

Try adding the following to your module XML file:

<add-linker name="xsiframe"/>
    <set-configuration-property name="devModeRedirectEnabled" value="true"/>
    <set-configuration-property name='xsiframe.failIfScriptTag' value='FALSE'/>

Additional detail/support for Super Dev Mode with SmartGWT is best found on the SmartClient forums:

http://www.smartclient.com/smartgwt/javadoc/com/smartgwt/client/docs/SuperDevModeTroubleshooting.html

Best of luck! Super Dev Mode is very sweet...

• Venardos Gonidakis

Hi again,

The thing is that i am not supposed to use these lines (i have already tried this at the beginning) since i use gwt 2.7.0 and nothing extra is required in gwt.xml. Oh dear friend. I am totally confused. Everything runs as it is supposed to run (without any extra lines), but when smartgwt comes into the frame the situation becomes messy. Unfortunately smartgwt forums are not well supported. It is an issue. Thank you once more for your great support.