Menu

Ballpark estimate for adaptation of highcharts 4 features?

Abritt
2014-08-03
2014-08-23
  • Abritt

Abritt - 2014-08-03

Hello:

Thanks for the fine work so far.

I'm trying to plan a project that will require the use of the 3d scatter and "large heat map" charts shown in the highcharts demo.

Do you have any idea what the timeline is for adding these to the GWT wrapper?

I'd like to know whether I can just plan on these features being in place by delivery (February 2015), or if I need to budget for writing my own code for these charts.

Thanks in advance.

• rob walker

rob walker - 2014-08-04

It's an open source project AFAIK.

So ... if you need to budget for writing your own code, why not budget for helping out the project do the adaption/migration with common open code. Everyone wins!

:)

• Abritt

Abritt - 2014-08-04

That's what I meant by 'writing my own code'. Being as how this is sourceforge, and everything here is open source, I assumed that the subtext that this code would be a contribution to the project was obvious. Apparently to some people who troll discussions looking to post useless answers to questions not asked of them, this is not the case. My mistake.

Allow me to clarify:

I am inquiring as to the status of these features because they are both clearly defined and acknowledged as in development by a core team member, which makes a high likelihood of duplicate work if I launch into doing it on my own. I would be happy to assist in this development if somebody can get in touch regarding the work done so far and where I should focus my effort.

• rob walker

rob walker - 2014-08-04

If that was your intention, you could have started along the lines of 'How may I help out ....'

Your subtext was not at all clear.

You were awful quick to jump to the defensive and start name calling there for someone with such honest intentions

Last edit: rob walker 2014-08-04
  • Shawn Quinn

Shawn Quinn - 2014-08-04

No real progress has been made on adding in any of the Highcharts 4 features yet (at least, AFAIK), and our work load is pretty high at Moxie Group right now - so I'm doubtful that we'll get to it this fall (if someone would be interested feature sponsorship though, definitely reach out.)

So, Abritt/others, if you're able to contribute to this and generate a merge request for adding this in, that would be great. Do keep me posted if you are able to get that started, as there's still a chance that we may be able to get started on some of the Highcharts 4 APIs in a couple of months - in which case we'd want to make sure we weren't overlapping with any of the areas you were digging in on.

• Abritt

Abritt - 2014-08-04

Great, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure when our development on this will begin exactly, but after I get the code pulled down and formulate a plan of attack I'll touch base with you to see if you have already made any progress in certain areas.

I'll also talk to project management regarding the possibility of sponsoring this development and see if they bite. I'll follow up with you via your site's contact messaging if I get any traction.

• Gilberto

Gilberto - 2014-08-23

Hi guys,

I just installed Highcharts 4.0.3 using the GWT Highcharts 1.6.0 package, and everything seems to be working (I'm not using new features yet).

I'll keep up updated if I see anything odd. But good work on making the wrapper flexible enough to work with new releases.

By the way, the Moxiegroup site is still pointing to the old 1.5.0 package...