From: Scott Brown <brown5500@gm...> - 2008-09-08 18:38:53
I have a verdex XM4-BT and a console-vx connecting to a hp bt-308 iPAQ
Navigation system. If I start the bluetooth GPS up when I am logged onto the
gumstix everything works fine. I can do a cat /dev/rfcomm0 and see the NMEA
messages coming through. But if I power on everything from scratch and switch
on the BT-GPS unit while the gumstix is booting up, the GPS unit will get
corrupted for some reason. After I log onto the gumstix, I type in cat
/dev/rfcomm0 and all I see is garbage. Anyone have any ideas?
From: Michael Caughey <michael@ca...> - 2008-09-08 19:53:53
Has any one worked with the Mobile EVDO modems? I have a Sprint PCS EVDO
modem and was thinking about using it for a communications link in
conjunction with my gumstx project. I know there are drivers for linux out
there for this particular modem.
From: Scott Brown <brown5500@gm...> - 2008-09-12 14:54:24
I Figured it out! This one took me a few hours to figure out but I figured I
would post my results as a follow up. What happens is when the GPS is booted up
with the gumstix, when you do a cat /dev/rfcomm0 a scrambled terminal is
present. If you start gpsd /dev/rfcomm0 the scrambled terminal is still present
until you do a gpspipe -r. The terminal becomes readable again even using the
cat command. Instead of using head /dev/rfcomm0 > mytext.txt to capture some
NMEA messages in my startup script file, I now us gpspipe -r -n4 > mytext.txt.
I still can capture the NMEA messages and it seems to be a little more stable if
you time the input coming in. Before using the head command it was varying from
3-8 seconds to capture data accordingly and now using the gpspipe command it is
a more stable and faster solution.