Hi Tim,
I had a similar problem and finally saw the error messages and resolved it by adding texinfo. That module is specified on the buildroot page of the wiki but not on the Buildroot_on_Windows section the describes the setup for the VMWare that I am using.
 
Also I noticed that you've included binutils-2.17.50.0.6 which, it is suggested on the Buildroot_on_Windows page but not on the main buildroot page, is
 
"default binutils 2.17 is not supported, change binutils version to 2.16.1 ..."
 
In the make menuconfig you can see that binutils post 2.16 is labeled EXPERIMENTAL.
 
Since there is conflicting information or at least non mention of the binutils version requirements, I went for 2.16 and have had no problems related to buildroot.
 
Rob