Remove the "Documents and Settings...

Help
Martin
2010-04-07
2013-05-08
  • Martin

Martin - 2010-04-07

When Media Player Classic is installed as a portable application on a thumb drive, it automatically creates a folder for configuration settings under C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Application Data\Media Player Classic. It does not insert anything into this folder unless you select the Store Settings in INI file option on the Player tab. However, if you delete the folder, it continues to recreate it.

I don't mind that it creates a configuration folder, but I wish that the folder was created on the thumb drive. Some employers are very strict--they will not allow any foreign applications to be installed on the business workstation, and they check for any evidence of this. That's why I am concerned about this configuration folder.

Is there any way to permanently delete this folder or to relocate it to the thumb drive using special start-up commands in an ASCII file?

• Yuri Khan

Yuri Khan - 2010-04-07

If I were your strict employer, I would be much more worried by the fact that you can run untrusted applications from a USB drive, and would seek a way to prevent you from being able to do so.

If you want to use an external drive for your application configuration, go ahead all the way and set your external drive as your Application Data directory. (After all, it’s just a registry value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders.) Applications do not need to and should not include any specific support for non-standard profile locations.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks