Can't "Open with", Win7

Help
2012-09-16
2013-05-08
  • Nick_Sennen

Nick_Sennen - 2012-09-16

I downloaded and installed Mediaplayer Classic. I can launch the program and File|Open to browse to a video file and play it. However if I start with the video file, right click and choose Open With the program does not appear in the list of possible media players. How can I fix this?
    Actually the installation process is odd in that it doesn't offer to add the program to the Start list or create a Desktop icon as most other application installs do. Why is that please?

• Johan

Johan - 2012-09-17

This can be a problem with the Win7 openwith system. If in the program you want to open the file with has been moved on your pc, windows 7 does not change the path in the registry even if you explicitly browse to the file and point to it. You will have to manually fill in the new path in the registry (this is how i solved similar problems.). Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\.exe\shell\open\command and modify the Default entry to point to your program's new location.

• Nick_Sennen

Nick_Sennen - 2012-09-20

Thanks Johan. I'll give that a try, though I hate messing with the Registry.