Menu

dell pc

law man
2009-04-28
2013-02-08
  • law man

law man - 2009-04-28

Every Dell PC that I try Gujin 2.4 on, I am unable to use with differing errors.

On the current one I've tried (optiplex gx620), I can't see any of the partitions that I want to boot from as it only shows the IDE/LB entries on the hard drive and not the EBIOS ones (which is where I always get to see the bootable partitions from) on both the hard drive and the USB drive that I'm booting from.

Trying to run a partition from the IDE/LB options never works.  Only running the EBIOS options works for me.

In addition - when I press pause at the initial screen, and then move unpause it, I always get a General Protection Fault.

I can put the complete general protection fault message on here if that will help.  There is nothing wrong with the Gujin 2.4 installed on my USB stick as it works on other computers.

Thanks.

• Etienne LORRAIN

Etienne LORRAIN - 2009-04-29

To debug that, I would need a bit more details. My Dell GX200 works nicely (BIOS up to date).
      First, it would be nice to try the latest version 2.5, just in case it is already fixed.
      Two, in case of general protection, I need at least the address of the crash (CS:IP) as displayed
      by Gujin in the crash message. A readable photo of the screen is better, if the crash address
      is not located in the BIOS (i.e. segment > 0xF000).
      Three, to debug disk access, I would need the DBG file generated by dbgdisk.exe. I usually
      get it by booting DOS from a USB drive formated by HPUSBFW.EXE (search on web, free to use),
      and start dbgdisk.exe (in standard.tar.gz). Then go to the setup screen, tick the (grayed)
      boxes "probe IDE disks" and "probe CDROMs and DVDs", and press space to re-probe all disks -
      then exit by control-D or Control-C.
      You will have the "DBG" file in the current directory.
      Also, you could look for a BIOS update for your machine at Dell.

Regards,
      Etienne.