bug in 2.3

2007-12-23
2013-02-08
  • Tiago Freitas

Tiago Freitas - 2007-12-23

If I boot my laptop gujin works, but when I reboot I get a blinking line saying:
    Gujin 1: gujin 2: Error!
    I'm using the BEER method.

I really like gujin for the ability to book cdrom isos but this bug is very annoying because I have a boot password that I have to enter every time I reboot.

I would also like to have a different command line for every kernel, maybe gujin could read a text file like menu.lst in grub? Or it could save a separate setting for each entering in the menu.

Finally, you should change the space shortcut in the boot to recover the mbr, or put a confirmation, because I accidentally pressed it once and lost some partitions...luckily I was testing and did not lost any data.

regards

• Etienne LORRAIN

Etienne LORRAIN - 2007-12-27

> If I boot my laptop gujin works, but when I reboot I get a blinking line saying:
      > Gujin 1: gujin 2: Error!
      > I'm using the BEER method.

With the B.E.E.R. method, the last sectors of the disk, containing the second stage of
      Gujin, are protected at the IDE disk level by setting the IDE HPA (last sector addressible),
      and locking it until next power cycle. Then, nothing can modify this code (like a virus if
      you have booted windows), and the disk stay bootable.
      If you reboot without power-cycle, the HPA stay locked, and the first stage of Gujin in the
      MBR cannot access the second stage at the end of the disk.
      It would be nice to have a "read only" HPA, but only full access (i.e. no write, no read)
      is defined as a IDE command, so there is no real solution.

> I really like gujin for the ability to book cdrom isos but this bug is very annoying
      > because I have a boot password that I have to enter every time I reboot.

If it is an IDE boot password, it is reseted at the same time as the HPA.
      If you have a free (primary or extended) partition, you could create a very small one
      at the end of your hard disk and install Gujin with a FAT filesystem and its MBR on it,
      so that the HPA locking is not done (Only B.E.E.R. uses HPA locking).

> I would also like to have a different command line for every kernel, maybe gujin could
      > read a text file like menu.lst in grub?
      > Or it could save a separate setting for each entering in the menu.

The later has a problem if a new kernel is found in the first position, it will shift
      all comand lines by one.
      Reading a text file is possible, but quite complex when multiple files are found in
      different filesystems (different distribution installed), with possible conflicts (same
      distribution installed twice with same kernel filename but different command line).
      Right now, the extra command line parameters can be added in the GZIP comment of each
      kernel, even for vmlinuz files - but only when using the 32 bits entry point of Linux.
      I will try to add a filename parsed to contain different kernel parameters for each
      filesystem found, do you need different kernel parameters for the same Linux
      distribution or only for different distribution on the same hard disk?

> Finally, you should change the space shortcut in the boot to recover the mbr, or put a
      > confirmation, because I accidentally pressed it once and lost some partitions...
      > luckily I was testing and did not lost any data.

I'll try to put a confirm message in next version.

Etienne.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks