Menu

fails against a real system

Help
Chris
2009-08-04
2013-05-29
  • Chris

Chris - 2009-08-04

I've tried to use the application against a currently operational application and it fails. When I attempt to run the "Generate GUI Structure" process it invariably fails. The application it's running against pops up some error messages, probably because the RIP function is, apparently, randomly clicking exposed controls (buttons).

I should mention that I'm running in a Windows environment against a VB6 application.

At the top of the Text documentation it refers to "Rip the GUI structure" followed by "Generate the Event-Flow Graphs. Farther down there a bit about doing a RIP followed immediately by a section "Replay the Test Cases", which doesn't explain where the Test Cases come from.

It might be prudent for the RIP function to provide the user with a list of the controls it will activate and let the user determine which controls should actually be included in the RIP.

• Atif Memon

Atif Memon - 2009-08-05

There are several problems with the current release. It does work but requires very specific configuration.

We are working on a new release. We'll post it in the next few weeks. It has the feature of letting a user "determine which controls should actually be included in the RIP. "

thanks
      -atif

• Mintz

Mintz - 2009-08-10

I'm interested in possibly using GUITAR to generate and perform tests for the Windows GUI of an application in development.

I am being employed by the company developing this application from tomorrow with a remit of developing a set of automated tests, and I found GUITAR through Google today.

I must admit that  I'm not filled with confidence about GUITAR's capabilities or stability from the few posts in this forum. Its not clear from the above post, where you say "It does work but requires very specific configuration." what this specific configuration amounts to. I'm on a tight schedule so I do not wish to waste time on experimenting with GUITAR if it proves to be too unstable, unreliable or unsuitable, and my time would be better spent seeking out alternative solutions.

How mature is the software?
      Is it fully functional?
      When are you likely to release a new build?

I realise that this isn't commercial software and my questions may seem a bit rude, but I really need to know if it is worth my time downloading it and trying to use it in anger, or if I'm just going to end up frustrated. The FAQ page isn't exactly brimming with answers.

Regards

Eugene. Gill
      Mint Systems

• Atif Memon

Atif Memon - 2009-08-11

Hi,

Thank you for the note. We are rapidly working on making GUITAR available on this site. Our Java version is looking quite good. It should be available within a month.

The Windows version will take a bit longer, perhaps another month or so.

I think that it will be ready for your next release  :)

BTW, if we offer to test your application here, would you be willing to share the executable of your application? We don't need source code.

regards
        -atif

• Pekka Aho

Pekka Aho - 2009-11-03

Hi,

I'm new to the GUITAR tool but it seems interesting. I have a Java GUI application and I'd like to test GUITAR on it. I got the jfcripper running but it seems it didn't find any root windows. Do I have to somehow configure which Java GUI elements are ripped or do I have some other issue?

DEBUG        /C:/GUITAR1.1/jars/guireplayer.jar
           DEBUG        /C:/GUITAR1.1/jars/jemmy.jar
           DEBUG        /C:/GUITAR1.1/jars/guiripper.jar
           DEBUG ===========================
           DEBUG =============================
           DEBUG Application parameters:
           DEBUG =============================
           INFO  Number of root windows: 0
           INFO  Number of Windows: 0
           INFO  GUI file:C:\GUITAR1.1/gui-structure.xml
           INFO  Open Component file:log_widget.xml
           INFO  Ripping Elapsed: 00 : 00 : 01: 234
           INFO  Log file: editor_gui-structure.log

BUILD SUCCESSFUL
    Total time: 3 seconds

Thanks,
    -Pekka

• Pekka Aho

Pekka Aho - 2009-11-04

Found the reason - the problem was that I didn't have a value for the initial wait and it seems my GUI needed some time for the startup. Now the ripper seems to work and I can continue.