Menu

Unable to Reconnect to RPD Session

Help
Rafael
2015-03-10
2015-04-11
  • Rafael

Rafael - 2015-03-10

Okay, I am getting some weird behavior. I think it is related to Microsoft, and not Guacamole. But I have looked around and am not able to find a solution. I am hoping someone here has seen this before and knows how to get around it. Please help!

I have Guacamole configured as an RDP gateway for a Windows 2008R2 Remote Desktop Session Host. It has been working beautifully. But every once in a while, a user calls me and tells me they cannot get in. When they click on their connection, it displays the blue Windows loging-into-session screen, but then it goes to a dark blue screen "DISCONNECTED" and "You have been disconnected." and the with the Home and Disconnect buttons. Nothing I do can get me back into the session. They close browser, log off Guacamole and log back in, nothing seems to work.

On the server, I see these logs on the Event Viewer:

An account was logged off.

Subject:
    Security ID: {SERVERNAME}{USERNAME}
    Account Name: {USERNAME}
    Account Domain: {SERVERNAME}
    Logon ID: 0x62b1279

Logon Type: 10

This event is generated when a logon session is destroyed. It may be positively correlated with a logon event using the Logon ID value. Logon IDs are only unique between reboots on the same computer.

The only way to recover from this is by logging in as an Administrator and force log-off the user session on the server. Then they are able to login again.

• Rafael

Rafael - 2015-03-10

Sorry, I should have also stated:

I am on 0.9.4.
    Using the default authentication.

• Rafael

Rafael - 2015-03-26

I just wanted to give an update on this issue in case anyone else runs into it:

On a separate issue relating to a memory leak in 9.4 or 9.5, I was told to build from the latest source in git. Doing that fixed the memory issue, but also I have not seen the issues in this post come up again.

• Raúl Roa

Raúl Roa - 2015-03-26

Hi @Rafael, I'm using 0.9.5 and haven't been able to connect using RDP to a Win 2012 R2 box. Could you please share your user-mappings config (obviously omitting sensitive information.)

Thanks!

• Rafael

Rafael - 2015-03-27

Sure. This is what I have:

<authorize username="rafael" password="password">
    <connection name="Desktop">
    <protocol>rdp</protocol>
    <param name="hostname">[try IP address here]</param>
    <param name="port">3389</param>
    <param name="username">rocky</param>
    <param name="password">password</param>
    <param name="enable-printing">true</param>
    </connection>
    </authorize>

Last edit: Rafael 2015-03-27
  • Raúl Roa

Raúl Roa - 2015-03-27

Thanks!!!

• Rafael

Rafael - 2015-03-31

Okay, so I have to bring this up again. The issue reported here has surfaced again. But I have new information that may help trace this down.

To reiterate the original reported issue:
    "Every once in a while, a user calls me and tells me they cannot get in. When they click on their connection, it displays the blue Windows loging-into-session screen, but then it goes to a dark blue screen "DISCONNECTED" and "You have been disconnected." and it shows the Home and Reconnect buttons. Nothing I do can get them back into the RDP session. They close browser, log off Guacamole and log back in, nothing seems to change. They always end up in the Disconnect screen with the Home and Reconnect buttons."

Now this is what I accidentally discovered today that should narrow the issue down:

While I was on the Disconnected screen (with the Home and Reconnect buttons), I clicked on Home, and then I clicked on Logout. This left me on the main Guacamole login page. And by accident, I clicked on the Windows key on my keyboard. All of a sudden, the Start button menu and taskbar (from the remote RDP session) all of a sudden showed up. Over the Guacamole login page! I then clicked on one of the open applications (Outlook) on the taskbar, and the session opened up and I was back in.

I took a screenshot, but I am not sure how to post that here, but I see a button to add an attachment. I will try that.

• Michael Jumper

Michael Jumper - 2015-04-10

That ..... isn't possible. Guacamole cannot draw on top of another web page. Further, if you're logged out, Guacamole cannot be connected; the user's authentication token would have been invalidated, resulting in immediate closure of the tunnel and its underlying remote desktop connection.

This may well be a silly question, but are you sure the start menu you're seeing isn't the start menu of the local machine?

As for the original problem, the initial symptoms may actually be GUAC-1066, a bug which results from errors of previous connections being locally cached. Closing the browser or clicking "reconnect" would resolve this, though.

What errors are in syslog and the Tomcat logs when the reconnect attempt fails?

• Rafael

Rafael - 2015-04-11

"are you sure the start menu you're seeing isn't the start menu of the local machine?"

I am 100 percent sure, as I am connecting from a Mac... :-)

I do not have the logs. But next time it happens, I will gather them.

• Michael Jumper

Michael Jumper - 2015-04-11

Could it be that:

1. The start menu is that of the Windows machine you're connected through via Guacamole
      2. You are using Guacamole within that Windows machine (Mac -> Guacamole -> Windows -> Guacamole again)
      3. You logged out of the Guacamole session running inside the Windows machine that you were accessing from your Mac via Guacamole, but your local Guacamole session on your Mac was still active

?

• Rafael

Rafael - 2015-04-11

Hmmm... Michael, this is a very good point you bring up!!! I need to investigate this further. It may be possible that the user got confused and created a second Guacamole connection from within one.

Thank you so much Michael. You may have figured it out. I will check with the user and report back.