What would it take to run on Android?

Wish List
Scot
2010-03-25
2013-04-26
  • Scot

Scot - 2010-03-25

I've been using gtd-free for a while now, but now that I finally have a smart phone, I'd really like to be able to run it there, too. What would it take to produce a smart-phone, web, or specifically, Android implementation? Java should be available in Android, although I'm not sure if it's the right version….
    thanks,
    scot

• Adrian A.

Adrian A. - 2010-03-25

> Android implementation?
    If you take a look at the sources, you will see that the most part is UI or related (i.e. Swing code) - since GTD-Free is a simple desktop application with and embedded DB (so it's not a "client/server" or a "multi-tier" application).

AFAIK Android has *no* support for Swing, so to make GTD-Free to work on Android would take just too much effort (at least for the UI part). However, the database (Neodatis) runs already on Android:
    http://www.neodatis.org/android
    and the logic should should be pretty UI independent too.

Another aspect is the screen estate - on mobile devices is quite small - so even if Android would run Swing (but it doesn't), the actual layout/screens of the application would be still not very usable on mobile devices.

• Ike

Ike - 2010-03-28

I'm still waiting for my smart phone to be build ;)
    Smart phone apps are completely different playground than desktop applications. Sorry, but GTD-Free as it is is not going to work on Android on any other thing with touchscreen and screen that could fit into pocket. In order to have decent user experience app needs to be written for phone form factor. Which might actually happen at some point.

• Volodymyr M. Lisivka

Can gtd-free synchronize CSV files? There are lot of applications to deal with CSV files.

• Ike

Ike - 2010-07-21

Not (yet). Do you have any specific CVS structure in mind?

• Volodymyr M. Lisivka

I reviewed lot of TODO apps for Android. Most of them are synchronized with Remember The Milk or Google Tasks. I assume, you are not interested in that functionality.

I recommend to export/import data encoded in JSON format to CouchDB. This will allow to synchronize between various instances of gtd-free without problem.

• Ike

Ike - 2010-08-16

I have nothing against synchronization with Remeber The Milk or Google tasks, I just don't have time to deal with it. I have on my todo to investigate if Google offers some nice API to sync with Tasks and Calendar, that would be interesting option, because they both have very nice support in my Android phone (yes, I have one).
    In next version I will probably make extension point (plugin/addon) for sync functionality and implement whatever will be easiest or most useful for me and let others support their favorite tools.

Ike

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks