'Disk Error' message

Help
2006-02-25
2013-04-16
  • Alister Hood

Alister Hood - 2006-02-25

Hi, I installed WinGrub on a computer running Windows 98SE, with an old hard drive with Windows 95 on it.  When I just put the Windows 98 disk in the menu table, and install it to a floppy disk, it works fine. If I right click in the menu table and choose edit, it says this:
    timeout 10

title Windows 98
    root (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

When I add my Windows 95 disk to the menu table and install it to floppy disk, when I turn my computer on it says 'verifying DMI pool data', and then says 'disk error'.  Right click>edit in the menu table shows me this:

timeout 10

title Windows 98
    root (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

title Windows 95
    pause Warning: drive map used. Press any key to start DOS/Win9x on (hd1,0)...
    root (hd1,0)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

Have I set it up wrong, or does anybody have any suggestions I can try? - I'm not that keen on installing grub anywhere else if I can't even get it to work safely from floppy.

Thanks

• Alister Hood

Alister Hood - 2006-03-18

AHA!

Yes, I have it working, although I haven't had time to pinpoint the reason.  I've been playing around with Linux of various forms, and sort of understood Grub more, so I thought I'd have another go.  I changed the second entry to:

title Windows 95
      map (hd1) (hd0)
      map (hd0) (hd1)
      root (hd0,0)
      makeactive hd0
      chainloader +1

Now I'm not sure about this, and haven't checked it out, but I think the fact that I now happen to be using a GRUB floppy made by Linux on another machine is irrelevant (although it seems odd that before I couldn't even get to the Grub menu), and that the fact that I now have "root (hd0,0)" after the mappings instead of before is also irrelevant.  I think what made the difference is that both my "root" entries are "(hd0,0)", and I have "hd0" on my "makeactive" line.

I can now dual boot windows 95 and windows 98 - wonderful!.  Except win95 seems to only boot sometimes - not sure why :(

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks