Charles Lacour - 2004-11-04

Logged In: YES
user_id=572214

The stuff to do #1 already exists.

Go to the "config" tab, then to the "encode" tab on the line
below the config tab.

The bottom box (labeled "Encode file format") takes various
parameters to build the name with. Go to
http://www.notstatic.org/grip, click on "Documentation" on
the left, then "Endcode config tab" under "Configuration".

The first paragraph mentions "Configuration Switches" and
has a link to them. Go to that section of the page and pick
out what you want to use. The default settings create a
directory for the artist, then a directory for the album,
then the name of the song for each file. I prefer to have
all that info in one filename, and put everything in one
directory.

So, I have my filename parameter set up like:
~/mp3/%A - %d - %t - %n.%x

(Note the spaces in the name.)

I recently ripped and encoded an album called "7even Year
Itch Best of Collective Soul 1994-2001". I didn't want the
sort problems involved with using "7even" instead of
"Seven", and CDDB gave the entire name, which I thought was
too long, so I edited the album name to just "Seven Year
Itch". When I did my rip-and-encode, the resulting song
title was "Collective Soul - Seven Year Itch - 01 -
Heavy.mp3" for the first song, "Collective Soul - Seven Year
Itch - 02 - She Said.mp3" for the second one, and so on.

That sounds pretty similar to what you want.

For question number 2, I can't be as much help. On the
config->encode->options tab, you can check a couple of boxes
for commonly desired modifications to the filename, such as
whether or not spaces get changed to underscores ( "She
Said.mp3" vs "She_Said.mp3" ) and whether or not to
lowercase names. ("She_Said.mp3" vs "she_said.mp3"). The
defaults are to change spaces to underscores, and to
lowercase all names. ("She Said.mp3" would become
"she_said.mp3").

There's also a box for letters to NOT strip out. That won't
help much with the problem you describe, but it might be
useful later on.

I see two possibilities for handling your problem.

The first is to smarten up KDE. If KDE is set to a language
that allows those letters, it should have no problems moving
files around.

Since my native language is English, I have very little
experience with the internationalization stuff. I did manage
to add a Spanish keyboard to the list of things I could use
(by the way, your English isn't bad. It's a LOT better than
my Spanish!), but I can't really give detailed advice on how
to set that up.

If I'm wrong about the language setting affecting whether
you can move things between directories, here's a few other
options.

If the problem is filenames being broken in two (a problem I
have because of the spaces in the names), you can use the
"-print0" option of the find command in combination with
xargs. A command to move the file you mentioned to the
directory "~/player" (say, as preparation for copying it to
a portable mp3 player) would look like:

find ~/mp3 -name 'herbert*' -print0 | xargs -i mv {} ~/player

A second option would be an awk or perl script that would
read a list of filenames, and edit them to match the
conventions you wanted (for example,
"herbert_grnemeyer.mp3" might become
"herbert_groenemeyer.mp3").

I'm fairly good with awk, but weak on internationalization,
so I don't know if I'll be able to help with a script to do
that or not. (I'm logged in to SourceForge as I write this,
so you should be able to contact me, if needed.)

Hope this helps,

Charles Lacour