• Swastik Sharma

Swastik Sharma - 2024-07-01

Hi,
    I know that we can set the thermal limits on the lines using:

rating.summer.continuous;
        rating.summer.emergency;
        rating.winter.continuous;
        rating.winter.emergency;

But i was wondering how is the gridlabd assuming the limits to be 1000A for summer and 2000A for winters by default. Is there some calculation on the basis of which GLD comes up with this?

Also, it would be highly helpful if someone could tell how to reach at these limits? Let's say for my system with 4.16kV base voltage won't 1000A limit, which comes out to be 4.16MVA seem a bit excessive?

Last edit: Swastik Sharma 2024-07-01
    • Frank Tuffner

Frank Tuffner - 2024-07-02

Hello Swastik,

Those values are arbitrary, set to be "high" as to not trigger warnings when people aren't concerned about them. So the calculation was "that looks like a nice big, round number - good enough!". I'll also note that the functionality is quite limited, mostly with them throwing a warning of "line is overloaded" (but I believe the violation_recorder looks for overloads).

As you mentioned, that 4.16 MVA (actually closer to 12.48 MVA, since that is a per-phase check) is quite high. Reaching that usually means you've severely overloaded the feeder -- ideally, those values would come from the datasheets for whatever conductor you specify for that portion of the system.

I will note that if you need more "advanced functionality" in relation to these values, I think the Arras Energy fork may have a little more advanced capabilities on there.

-Frank

• Swastik Sharma

Swastik Sharma - 2024-07-03

Hi Frank,
    Thank you for clarifying!
    I will surely look into the Arras Energy fork.