Menu

Version 5 release on GridLAB-D: class 'helics_msg' is not known.

2023-04-22
2023-05-08
  • Barsha Upadhyaya

Dear GridLAB-D Discussion Group,

I am currently facing an issue with running GridLAB-D on my Windows machine. I downloaded the .exe file from the official GitHub release (v5.0) and successfully installed the software from this link https://github.com/gridlab-d/gridlab-d/releases. However, when attempting to run a .glm file containing a module connection and object helics_msg, I encountered the following error:

"the file connection.dll cannot be found.
    class 'helics_msg' is not known."

I have referred to the GridLAB-D documentation and tried various solutions but have been unable to resolve the issue. I am reaching out to this group in the hopes that someone can provide guidance on how to resolve this issue.

Based on the error message, it appears that the required DLL file for the "connection" module is missing and the "helics_msg" class is not recognized.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or guidance on how to resolve this issue. If there are any further details required, please do let me know.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Best regards,
    Barsha Upadhyaya

• Frank Tuffner

Frank Tuffner - 2023-04-26

Hello Barsha,

So the initial question comes up - do you have an installation of HELICS? The version of GridLAB-D compiled on GitHub links against HELICS, but it doesn't actually include the HELICS binaries. You can download precompiled versions on the HELICS repository.

At the very least, you may need to download one of the Windows binaries (e.g., helics_shared_3.4.0-wind64.tar.gz) and put the helics.dll file into the bin folder of GridLAB-D - ideally though, you'll probably want to download the HELICS installer and run that. If you've already downloaded/installed HELICS, the helics.dll file must be in your PATH environment variable.

I will note that HELICS currently lists v3.4.0 as the most recent - you'll need GridLAB-D v5.1 for that (it's on the GitHub release page, but it is currently a draft release). If you are using the v5.0 release of GridLAB-D, you'll want to use one of the earlier versions of HELICS (e.g., v3.3.2).

-Frank

• Barsha Upadhyaya

Yes, I have HELICS installed in the machine, I am assuming it was the helics.dll file that needed to be in the PATH environment. Thank you for the answer and the detailed instruction.

• Frank Tuffner

Frank Tuffner - 2023-05-08

Hello Barsha,

Again, apologies for the delay in responding.

Does this mean you resolved the issue (and it was just the PATH inclusion), or are you still having problems getting GridLAB-D to recognize the connection module?

-Frank