Menu

Build .exe file

2019-02-12
2019-02-20
  • Victor Gutierrez

Good day.

I followed the instructions to run GLM files in Eclipse and it is working properly. Now I am able to create new projects, run them and analyze results. I have the following question since I am not an expert in programming:

Is it possible to build the GridLABD.exe file in Eclipse? My point is, if I modify the source code, is it possible to generate the corresponding .exe file in eclipse or do I need to do the same procedure as described when tickets are generated and compile the code by using the procedure shown in http://gridlab-d.shoutwiki.com/wiki/MinGW/Eclipse_Installation?

Thank you very much in advance

• Frank Tuffner

Frank Tuffner - 2019-02-14

Hello Victor,

Theoretically, it is probably possible to get Eclipse to do the calls from the wiki and actually get it to recompile "inside Eclipse". Technically, it would still be doing the same process, but it would be in the background and transparent to you (this is what many IDEs like Microsoft Visual Studio are doing).

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anyone who has done this yet, especially in the MSYS2 framework. I know a couple people attempted it for the older MSYS approach, but I'm not sure they got it to work.

We have a side project trying to "generalize" the compilation process a little so things like this may be easier, but that work is still in the very early stages.

If you do mess around with it and have any luck, or if someone else reading these forums has accomplished this, please post back the instructions/steps and we can post them to the Wiki. I know I quite often miss the ability to just hit "F7" after making a code change, not having to swap between windows to do the building process.

As a side note you may already know about, if you are only doing minor code changes (not adding any new objects or files), you do not have to do the full recompile process. In instances like that, you typically only need to do the make and make install steps (really only the latter) -- it will do an incremental build of just the updated files, which is much faster than the full recompile process.

-Frank

• Victor Gutierrez

Hi Frank
    Thank you very much for your help. In case of succeed I will let you know.

Regards,
    Victor