Islanding

2014-04-02
2014-04-03
  • Haneen Aburub

Haneen Aburub - 2014-04-02

Hi,

I downloaded the latest version of gridlab-d (version 3). If you please, I want to know if this version has the microgrid module. If it does not have, can I create my own microgrid and test its islanding operation.

Thanks.

• Frank Tuffner

Frank Tuffner - 2014-04-03

Hello Haneen,
    Version 3.0 does support the "microgrid simulation" capability (known as deltamode). At this time, there is no direct "microgrid module". Microgrid simulations are conducted typically using a combination of the powerflow and generators modules. The best examples for setting up a microgrid-like scenario are available in our diesel distributed generation autotests under the generator module source code. The file test_diesel_dg.glm under http://sourceforge.net/p/gridlab-d/code/HEAD/tree/branch/3.0/generators/autotest/ provides a good basis for its functionality.

I'll caveat this with the "microgrid" capabilities of GridLAB-D are still under development. Version 3.1, slated for release later this year, is where many of the capabilities and models we've developed will be officially released. Version 3.0 supports many of these already, but 3.1 is where most of our newer models and capabilities for microgrid/transient analysis are expected to be released (they are available in branch 3.1 and ticket 730 of the source code if you wish to compile source code). If your "islanding" scenario involves disconnecting from the bulk grid (i.e., not starting as a microgrid), I'm not sure version 3.0 actually supports that. It is a feature we're hoping to introduce in 3.1.

Even under the 3.1 release scenario, the model database of "transient-capable" objects is still a little limited. If you write you own models that participate in the transient simulation, we highly encourage you to find a way to post it back to the community.

As an aside to this, we are currently working on developing a "deltamode course" similar to the other online classes we've offered in the past. I'm not sure when it will be released, but it will have many of the details of the deltamode (microgrid) capabilities and some of the programming details.

-Frank

• Haneen Aburub

Haneen Aburub - 2014-04-03

Thank you so much for your response. I will check that and let you know if I have more questions.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks