Customization of greenstone

Help
2004-07-22
2004-07-30
  • shabbir bhimani

shabbir bhimani - 2004-07-22

Hello Greenstone Developers

I want to customize the greenstone's look and feel and so I have tried editing the macros. I was successful to certain limit but would like to go beyond that.

I want to give total new look of the greenstone system and my digital library and so I need to go beyond the macros and would like to get the documentation of source code and call tree structure of it.

Thanks
    Shabbir Bhimani
    Need Expert Advice - www.go4expert.com
    Provides advice and opinions by the expert member to questions coupled with a vast variety of web design tutorials and articles

• Katherine Don

Katherine Don - 2004-07-25

All our documentation is linked to from the following page
      http://www.greenstone.org/cgi-bin/library?e=p-en-docs-utfZz-8&a=p&p=support

The developers guide is probably the most useful to you.
      But, unfortunately, there is not much documentation about the actual source. Your best bet may be to look through the source code.

You may be interested in our new Greenstone project, Greenstone 3. The first alpha release is due in the next couple of weeks.  It is a completely new design, aimed to make it more flexible and easier to modify and extend.
      The runtime system uses XML and XSLT to produce the web pages - the system generates XML data for each page, and XSLT is used to transform it to HTML.  It should be much easier to change the look of Greenstone using Greenstone3.
      It is backwards compatible with Greenstone 2 collections, so collections don't need to be rebuilt.

If you are interested, the release will be announced on the greenstone mailing list (you can join from the above page).

• shabbir bhimani

shabbir bhimani - 2004-07-29

Thanks for the reply and Yes I will definitely wait for greenstone 3.

Yes I was looking the source code and its specified on that you have implemented the greenstone through Perl C and c++. I would like to know what languages I should use just to change the looks. What I mean is I dont want to go into much detail of implementation and just like to change the HTML part of implemented cgi scripts and so if you can tell me that this is the file or set of files to start with I will be very helpful.

Thanks
      Shabbir Bhimani
      Need Expert Advice - http://www.go4expert.com
      Provides advice and opinions by the expert member to questions coupled with a vast variety of web design tutorials and articles

• Katherine Don

Katherine Don - 2004-07-29

have a look at the code in gsdl/src/recpt - the recpt part does the display, while the colservr part does the collection data serving.

Start from the action files. eg if you want to customise the home page, look at pageaction.cpp, for the querypage, use queryaction.cpp.

do_action is the method that starts off the page generation.
        define_internal_macros and define_external_macros set up some of the dynamic macros, used by the current action only (internal) and used by other actions (external).

documentaction.cpp sets up the navigation bar for all the other pages.

formattools.cpp helps with format statements, and the browserclasses help with displaying lists of documents/classifier nodes.

Good luck

• shabbir bhimani

shabbir bhimani - 2004-07-30

Thanks for the help and I am sure this will help me a lot.

Thanks
      Shabbir Bhimani
      Need Expert Advice - http://www.go4expert.com

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks