Pasting Images into Atlassian Confluence

Help
Joe Adams
2012-04-10
2013-03-07
  • Joe Adams

Joe Adams - 2012-04-10

I'm not sure if people have seen this issue; https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-23325 but with the recent releases of Greenshot or the recent updates to the Confluence wiki, you can't paste a screenshot taken with Greenshot into Confluence.

This seems to be something new, so I'm not sure if something has changed in the format of the data stored in the clipboard? Standard screenshots taken with the Windows OS paste, as do copied areas of MS-Paint etc…

• Robin Krom

Robin Krom - 2012-04-10

Pasting screenshots in web applications is always a bit tricky, depends on a lot of factors!
    First the application itself needs to support it, second the browser needs to be able to support it and last the format on the clipboard needs to be the right one.

We can only do something about the last… We are trying to make this work, but I only have an old confluence to test with. We have made some changes to support the format that might work, still need to test it…

On the other hand we have a confluence plugin, but as it was written in another .NET version we don't supply this with our installer. Although it still needs some improvement, it is usable… It will upload the picture as attachment but won't insert it in the page (how should we know where) instead the clipboard will have the right wiki-code to insert.

Best wishes,
    Robin

• Joe Adams

Joe Adams - 2012-05-08

It seems like their formerly public sandbox has been turned into a Trial where you need to sign up, and then in if you cancel you are not charged anything. This could be an easy way to test the paste function into Confluence.

https://my.atlassian.com/ondemand/signup/confluence?sandbox=true

• Joe Adams

Joe Adams - 2012-05-08

Pasting to confluences does not work in 0.8.1 (1486) but does work in 0.8.0 (0627) if that helps…..

• Joe Adams

Joe Adams - 2013-02-28

This issue has been fixed for a while with recent Greenshot version, but after I just upgraded to 1.0.6 Build 2228 (64 bit) this has stopped working again.

I realize there is a nice Confluence plugin, which is interesting, but since Confluence lets you paste directly into the page, allowing you to place an image and format it right away I think that simply having the clipboard as the destination is just as fast.

Same as before, if I paste the image into mspaint.exe and then copy the image from there, I am able to paste into confluence. I am not able to paste either when the destination is the clipboard, nor if the destination was the editor, which I then copy to the clipboard (similar to the way I would have done it with the old Greenshot interface).

• Robin Krom

Robin Krom - 2013-02-28

Hi Joe,
    Is it possible you test this with 1.1, we are still developing this but I don't expect many issues. And even when, we need help finding and solving them.

You can find it here: http://getgreenshot.org/version-history/

Best wishes,
    Robin

• Joe Adams

Joe Adams - 2013-03-01

I installed Greenshot-INSTALLER-1.1.0.2464-UNSTABLE, and it still does not work. I can still paste into mspaint and then copy and paste into Confluence.

Last edit: Joe Adams 2013-03-01
  • Robin Krom

Robin Krom - 2013-03-01

Hi Joe,

Good you installed it, hope you didn't remove it yet. Please go to the settings and select the expert tab. Here you need to select the "i know what I'm doing" checkbox... And than you can change the formats which are placed on the clipboard, you probably need to select the "bitmap" format.

Than exit with OK and try again...

Best wishes,
    Robin

• Joe Adams

Joe Adams - 2013-03-07

That worked like a charm. Thanks so much. I would expect that this might cause problems for a lot of people. I'm not sure if it would make sense to default it to that?

• Robin Krom

Robin Krom - 2013-03-07

Making it default is something I am considering, and I'm pretty sure I will do this. The problem is than when someone uses copy paste the image is huge, as applications take whatever they find first which is usually "bitmap" and not "png", whatever the reason. Oh man, the clipboard is the worst Windows feature for us...

But working and huge beats not working and small in some cases. :-(