Menu

Can Greenshot be used to taking screenshots of games?

Help
Anonymous
2015-01-10
2015-04-29
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2015-01-10

Can Greenshot be used with full screen games? When I try to take a screenshot ("capture full screen") the program captures a picture of my desktop. Capturing a window produces an error. I'm now stuck with FRAPS which I don't like at all.

Should I use “capture full screen”, “capture window”, “capture region” or “capture last region” option when taking screenshots of a game? Also, is it confirmed that PNG image isn’t compressed in any way?

Last edit: Anonymous 2015-01-10
  • Robin Krom

Robin Krom - 2015-01-13

About PNG, this is compressed but differently as JPG. As JPG is for photos, they can use different ways of compressing by throwing away information that the eye doesn't see (much). PNG should be the preferred format to store screenshots as the image is not modified, and prevents weird artefacts (e.g. shadows around edges) in the image. In general the size of PNG files for screenshots are only slightly bigger than JPG (sometimes they are smaller), but you have a 100% copy of the screen. Anyway look at Wikipedia for more information!

Short answer on the capturing of games:
    Capturing full screen games mostly doesn't work with Greenshot, at least not now.

Long answer:
    Most games use "Direct-X", when this is the case than capturing the screen is something that the game must allow. Unfortunately most don't (used to be a performance reason), in this case Greenshot would need to "modify" the running game by injecting code into it (fraps does this). Something that I don't like, if I would add this to Greenshot I will need to make this very clear...

Also, when dealing with Direct-X, we need libraries to do so... the size of these are multiple times the download of Greenshot. As long as we don't have a platform for downloading extensions (plug-ins), I really don't want to increase the initial download that much, we rather distribute Greenshot without this feature.

Also, there are many Direct-X versions and ways to use this, which makes it not very trivial. So we need to invest quite a lot of time in such a feature.

I am working on something, nothing that will be available in the next 6 months, which might make it at least possible for the games that allow to be captured. This would only work on Windows 8(.1) and higher. And if this works, I might look at other options...

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2015-04-29

I haven't found any suitable open source screenshot program for games. I'd really appreciate if you can make this happen.