Menu

No OCR command in menu

column
2016-05-30
2019-05-28
  • column

column - 2016-05-30

I run Windows 10 with Microsoft Office professional Plus 2016 on my computer. Looks like MS OCR functionality is enabled in my system since OneNote is able to copy text from image.

But how to enable this functionality for Greenshot? Currently I have following menu after making screenshot:

enter image description here

I does not have OCR.

And there is no OCR plugin listed in settings:

But OCR plugin file exist:

During installation OCR option was enabled.

How to enable Greenshot OCR plugin in my system?

• Robin Krom

Robin Krom - 2016-05-30

Look at our FAQ: http://getgreenshot.org/faq/how-can-i-use-greenshot-for-ocr/

afaik MODI works up to Office 2013, but you need to have it installed, or install it like described in the FAQ.

Microsoft doesn't have a good interface to OneNote, and we no longer wanted to be dependend on such additional programs.

So, with Greenshot 1.3 (or higher) we will start to support the build in OCR of Windows 10.
    But this isn't finished yet.

• boardtc

boardtc - 2019-05-28

@Robin Krom It's 3 years since your post. There have been no commits to v1.3 in 1Y. It sounds like OCR works for most people, probably my situation is perhaps related to corportate environment or something.

Last edit: boardtc 2019-05-28
  • james

james - 2018-10-26

I have MS Word OCR installed and the OCR option shows up and is checked in Greenshot but it does not do OCR. Nothing happens when I copy a text image and try to ocr it. Ideas

• boardtc

boardtc - 2019-03-27

On Windows 10 Enterprise, I have OCR working in OneNote but I want it in Greenshot of course!

@column's post 100% describes what I have experienced. I have reinstalled twice now with OCR plugin selected each time but on the Greenshot plugins page after a reboot the OCR plugin is not listed :-( Each time I did a reinstall the install did an uninstall first.

On my Windows 10 machine at home it works with Greenshot 100%

Last edit: boardtc 2021-11-17