Install problems with Fedora 2

Help
2005-04-09
2013-05-14
  • Scott Ackerman

Scott Ackerman - 2005-04-09

I am new to linux but I didn't think I was this stupid. When I try to install the RPM I get the message that this program requires pygtk>=2.3.96. I have checked and 2.40 comes with Fedora 3. What gives?

• tom

tom - 2005-04-10

You're not stupid -- RPMs are a bit of a nightmare. Although you'd think that since so many distros use them, there'd be some standardization, there is not.  In fedora, the package is called pygtk2, not pygtk.

You have two options -- install from source or force the RPM you use to override the default.

Newer versions of Gourmet *should* have fancy new distro-specific RPM packages which will help resolve this sort of problem. However, I've had some problems getting them built for python2.3 (standard on most distros) since I use python2.4, so I haven't released RPMs for the latest gourmet yet. I'll try to fix this soon.

Also, you should know that installing from source is pretty trivial -- there's no real compiling involved with python programs the way there is with C, so you can always grab the tarball and use

python setup.py install

Tom

• Bruce Bowler

Bruce Bowler - 2005-08-15

Same but different problem.  I installed latest (0.8.5.10) and can't import from web page.  I'm running on FC4, installed gourmet with rpm, no dependancy issues reported.  Error on terminal when I attempt webpag import is...

Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "/usr/share/gourmet/GourmetRecipeManager.py", line 871, in import_webpageg
          import importers.html_importer
        File "/usr/share/gourmet/importers/html_importer.py", line 5, in ?
          from html_plugins import *
      ImportError: No module named html_plugins

Any help?

• nanotube

nanotube - 2005-08-15

Well, html_plugins is part of the gourmet source, not an external dependency. so maybe there is something weird going on with the rpm. since tom is the rpm builder, have to wait for him to get back and figure this out. that rpm package is not running from python source, is it, by any chance? if it is, you could check if the source includes that dir (gourmet/importers/html_plugins/), and if it has various .py files in in (including __init__.py).
        -d

• Bruce Bowler

Bruce Bowler - 2005-08-15

Ooops,  that last one ended up in the wrong thread.  Should have been in the "can't import from webpage" thread.

Sorry...