SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

Fresh etch install -- gourmet startup error

Help
m0par
2009-02-09
2013-05-14
  • m0par

m0par - 2009-02-09

I had gourmet-0.14.3 (I love the app, BTW) running on a previous debian (sid) install. After a hardware failure, I had to reinstall, and went with etch 4.0r6.

I have a backup of my old $HOME/.gourmet, but have not restored it yet to keep it from being a source of errors.

I know absolutely nothing about sqlalchemy (if it is even the source of the error) so it may be something simple, but a cursory google search hasn't enlightened me. I have the required packages as listed on the linux install page.

Starting gourmet gives me the following without so much as the splash screen:

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/gourmet", line 34, in ?
        import gourmet.GourmetRecipeManager
      File "/usr/share/gourmet/gourmet/GourmetRecipeManager.py", line 6, in ?
        import recipeManager
      File "/usr/share/gourmet/gourmet/recipeManager.py", line 17, in ?
        from backends.db import *
      File "/usr/share/gourmet/gourmet/backends/db.py", line 21, in ?
        from sqlalchemy import Integer, Binary, String, Float, Boolean, Numeric, Table, Column, ForeignKey, Text
    ImportError: cannot import name Text

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

• tom

tom - 2009-02-09

Most likely your version of sqlalchemy is too old to work with Gourmet. They seem to be actively updating their API (I know I recently made a number of changes to make Gourmet work with SQLAlchemy 0.5.x -- it had been designed to work with whatever was current when I first started using it -- 0.4.7 or something like that).

Do you know what version of SQLAlchemy you have installed?

• m0par

m0par - 2009-02-09

python-sqlalchemy-0.3.1-2

• tom

tom - 2009-02-09

Yeah -- you'll need a more up-to-date sqlalchemy.  Either of the releases on the webpage here will do: http://www.sqlalchemy.org/

• m0par

m0par - 2009-02-09

ooops. I didn't mean to post that reply so soon...

I was able to upgrade to 0.4.7p1-2~bpo40+1 from backports, and gourmet is up and running here again!

Whew. There are only 4 programs that I must be able to run on this computer. gourmet was the last one I had to wrestle with to get a suitably recent version running on etch without butchering package-management.

Thanks.