importing && exporting

Help
2008-12-22
2013-05-14
  • William Blaylock

I am trying to get my recipes off of my ancient CD's burned when I abandoned Windows/dos in the middle of the dark ages.

I have set up virtualbox with windows 95 and mealmaster seems to work quite well except for the pain of virtualization ;) (wine did not work for mealmaster)

I have tried all 3 formats of export from mealmaster, the raw mealmaster files, etc. and I can not get anything to import.

I have even upgraded from the ubuntu (Hardy) repository version 0.14.0 to the 0.14.3 version here at sourceforge with no joy.

I always end up with the following (pasted below) or similar when running gourmet from the command line and keeping the output when importing.

These recipes have made it through several versions of dos, numerous upgrades and now virtualization so I am sure there are probably characters in one or two recipes which would be a problem but wouldnt at least one recipe import (the several recipes I entered into both mealmaster and gourmet as a test) or an error be thrown etc. which could lead me on my way?

Exporting recipes typed into gourmet also fails with some spectacularly lacking results :O
    (pasted below import) when I try to export anything *EXCEPT* gourmet xml file.

Any idea what I am doing incorrectly?

**** begin paste import results ****
    Doing import for  /tz/BEVERAGE.mm.TXT <mealmaster_plugin.mealmaster_importer_plugin.MealmasterImporterPlugin instance at 0x1cc6bd8>
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gourmet/GourmetRecipeManager.py", line 764, in do_import
        self.importManager.offer_import(self.window)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gourmet/importers/importManager.py", line 113, in offer_import
        self.import_filenames(filenames)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gourmet/importers/importManager.py", line 144, in import_filenames
        self.do_import(importer_plugin,'get_importer',fn)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gourmet/importers/importManager.py", line 154, in do_import
        importer.pre_run()
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gourmet/importers/plaintext_importer.py", line 23, in pre_run
        self.lines = check_encodings.get_file(self.fn)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gourmet/check_encodings.py", line 81, in get_file
        gf = GetFile(file, encodings)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gourmet/check_encodings.py", line 74, in __init__
        self.lines = encs[self.enc].split('\n')
    KeyError: 'ascii'

**** end paste import  ****

**** begin paste export ****
    exporting 3 recs
    Argument progress_func is obsolete and will be ignored: <bound method RecGui.set_progress_thr of <gourmet.GourmetRecipeManager.RecGui instance at 0xd569e0>>
    <ExporterMultirec(Exporter, started)> run!
    Exportermultirec.do_run
    Error!
    emit ('error', 1, 'Error during Exporter', 'Traceback (most recent call last):\n  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gourmet/threadManager.py", line 97, in run\n    self.do_run()\n  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gourmet/plugin_loader.py", line 350, in _\n    retval = f(self,*args,**kwargs)\n  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gourmet/exporters/exporter.py", line 542, in do_run\n    e=self.exporter(out=self.ofi, r=r, rd=self.rd, **self.exporter_kwargs)\n  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gourmet/plugins/import_export/mealmaster_plugin/mealmaster_exporter.py", line 9, in __init__\n    import gourmet.importers.mealmaster_importer as mealmaster_importer\n  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gourmet/importers/mealmaster_importer.py", line 6, in <module>\n    from gourmet.gglobals import gt\nImportError: cannot import name gt\n')
    emit ('done',)
    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gourmet/threadManager.py:314: DeprecationWarning: gtk.Progress.set_percentage is deprecated, use gtk.ProgressBar methods
      pb.set_percentage(perc)
    thread_error cb
    <ExporterMultirec(Exporter, stopped)> done
    Check queue

**** end paste export ****

• William Blaylock

Apparently somehow along the trip my recipes came to have several characters which break something in gourmet.

#0x14h I don't remember what is
      the degree symbol
      the >> symbol
      and a couple of others.

Export is still behaving a bit badly but can be lived with now :)

• tom

tom - 2008-12-23

There are various bugs with characters and unicode support. If you have a database that fails in a predictable way with the latest Gourmet, let me know -- if you can e-mail me the DB and a list of instructions to reproduce the problem, I may well be able to squash the bug(s)

• William Blaylock

ok :) I will get it together (and check back more frequently :O )

Do you want the actual mm file or the exported text file or both?

• tom

tom - 2009-01-24

The file you're trying to import would be the one needed.

That said, looking at the original traceback, I believe I may have already fixed this bug in the meantime. It would be worth pulling CVS HEAD and testing.

I'll also try to get a release out soon if that'd be easier for you :)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks