Installing in non-standard directory

Help
Levander
2007-07-25
2013-05-14
  • Levander

Levander - 2007-07-25

I guess I could make an exception for gourmet because I've been wanting a GNOME recipe manager badly enough.  But, I hate installing software into the regular system directories (like /etc, /usr) myself.  I really prefer that leave the management of all those directories up to apt and the official repositories (from Canonical because I'm running Ubuntu).

I downloaded the tar.gz file, and I see where I'm just supposed to run setup.py to install it.  But, looking at the setup.py source codde, it looks like it's going to put everything in the regular system directories.

Is there any way to install gourment so that *all* it's files go into a directory on my box named "/opt/gourmet-0.13.4"?

• tom

tom - 2007-07-27

The only tricky part is that the python files have to no where to look for themselves. By default, things get installed wherever python puts local packages. You can change the installation by using --install-dir or other flags to setup.py.  The only trick is making sure the gourmet script (in src/gourmet, usually installed to /usr/bin/gourmet) knows where to look. It has a hack to look in /usr/share/ for debian installations, since that allows a python-version-neutral installation of python files to /usr/share/gourmet/. You could modify that to look wherever you like.

• Anthony Foglia

Anthony Foglia - 2007-08-02

You could hack a solution by making the directory gourmet normally looks in a symlink to the actual directory in /opt/gourmet-0.13.4.  That's one way.  There are programs like "stow" that are designed to help the installation of programs from outside your distribution, but I don't know enough about them to help.

I'd suggest installing the deb though.  It's simple and straightforward and easy to uninstall if you want.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks