I want to help, and ideas

Knoxy
2009-10-15
2013-05-14
  • Knoxy
    Knoxy
    2009-10-15

Sourceforge seems not to agree with my internet connection, so I can't see the preview (and had a heck of a time logging in). So if this post doesn't come out quite right, you have my appologies it is my first time with Markdown Syntax.

I was trying to join your source forge team and help out, but found it nearly impossible. I couldn't come across a "join" type link anywhere. I wasn't sure who to direct this to, so thus the forum. The following is a list of suggestions, and bugs that I've come across. Maybe there should be *one* forum post (or folder) where everyone can add there ideas, instead of doing what we apparently are (admin!).

First about me: I am making my way through the new O'Reilly Programming in Python book, but still consider myself quite the novice. I have a bit of experience with shop and illustrator, but don't have easy access to them. I'm running Jaunty on a laptop.

Are there any icons I can revamp, a stand in image for recipes I could create, or create a new splash? Any other tasks that you want to toss my way, I will try my best.

##Hard Improvements:##

*  I think the recipe card layout ought to be redesigned to take advantage of the horizontal space that is available. I think the attached image will do a better job conveying my idea than words can do. It is a bit rough of an image because it was done in OOo Draw, and hindered by my abilities.
    *  Noteworthy here is the option to check a direction when you have completed it, have it gray out and have the next step highlighted.
    *  I think the star ratings could be either next to the title, or over/under the image, to save space.
    *  I think the layout of the program would be vastly improved if, when you opened a recipe card, it opened in a tab instead of a new window. In order to take advantage of widescreen computers I think this tab ought to be in a vertical column on the left, instead of the standard tab bar. If these could slide out when you hover over them to display the entire name of the recipe that would be ideal. Otherwise, I think it is worth taking up a full column on the left hand side for titles. This column could also have two tabs at the top (that can not be closed) for searching and adding recipes.

!

##Easy Improvements:##

*New splash screen
    *Right click on recipe:
    **menu:
    *** View
    *** Edit
    *** Print
    **** 8.5x11
    **** 4x6
    **** Other..
    *** Visit website
    *** Delete Recipe

* A stand in image for a recipe when no image has been selected. This could also act as an "Add image" button.
    * Clear search field button, and focus attention on search bar.
    * That note that displays when you delete a recipe ought to display at the bottom in some kind of status bar status bar, instead it pops up and shifts all of the menus. (I just recently upgraded from 14 so this may not be true anymore)
    * Plug in for firefox: When you are on a website and want to download the recipe there would be a bookmark or an addition to the right click menu that you could click on to send the recipe to Gourmet Recipe Manager.
    * Develop a simple tutorial for making your own Website Importer Plugin. I think this is a fairly easy request, and can allow anyone with a little initiative to really help out (like me!). I've tried making one for *All Recipes*, following the codes for Foodnetwork, but am not having the best of luck. I can post the code if it would help, but somethings I don't know how to do. Like the yield is in a part of a tag, not inbetween them. Also when I tried importing a webpage it just dissapeared, like nothing happened. I added the plugin to init (underscores left out for Markdown). I can post the code.

##Issues/Bugs##

* Fractions aren't displayed in Ingredients (this was a problem in 14, not sure about 15)
    * Python console plugin does not seem to work.
    * The "Go" menu only works if you are going to the recipe index.
    * View Recipe Card ought to save and then view the card.
    * Sorting in the Recipe Index resets the column widths.
    * Key editor: a pop up box appears that asks you cancel, no, or yes. Yes does nothing, and no does something but I'm not sure what.(14, not sure about 15)
    * Timer Issues:
    ** The pause button on the timer has a few issues:
    ** If you hit it before the time has started it starts the timer.
    ** If you hit it to pause, and then start to start, the pause button remains depressed
    ** The seconds jump to 49 when you start the timer (and maybe every minute, I haven't watched), and then count down from there. Maybe this is supposed to be 59? The minutes have the same limitation.
    ** Numbers can not be typed into the text fields

I would love to help out, so let me know if I cam be of use.

• Knoxy
    Knoxy
    2009-10-16

Some things didn't turn out quite right, sorry for the mishap. I guess also that ul li don't have bullet points… so I could have used p for readability. my bad:

!(http://i35.tinypic.com/vd1gfo.png)

for the right click menu I was suggesting:
    *  menu:
    **     View
    **     Edit
    **     Print
    ***        8.5x11
    ***        4x6
    ***        Other..
    **     Visit website
    **     Delete Recipe

hope that doesn't cram up like last time…

#Anyway, other things I forgot:#
    1. In the recipe browser (search recipe) it would be great if the headers could be right clicked on and you could select from the items in that headers category. That would give you a way to narrow down the fields
    2. When you are editing the steps, there should be a symbols button, though really I just want to be able to add a degrees symbol. This could clue the program so that you only have to enter in C, but can then have a drop down to change it to F or whatever you want.
    3. I'd love some kind of number, list type system in my directions. I know it'd be kind of weird to have a format forced upon you, but just pick something that looks nice, and has space between the steps. Really though, I'm tired of writing them in myself.
    4. A hookup to my dictionary would be nice as well

Cheers, and thanks for listening.

• tom
    tom
    2009-12-02

Lots of good ideas here. It might actually be useful to sort these out and create separate feature requests for them so they can be tracked, etc.

BUGS

Most of your bugs are things that I use regularly, so it's something idiosyncratic about your set-up - perhaps dependencies, perhaps otherwise.

Regarding the note that drops down, it's becoming a new standard to have dropdowns like the one I tried to do on the top (see gedit for a good example). My hope is that a proper GTK widget will be coming down the pipeline to do this better.

FEATURE REQUESTS/ENHANCEMENTS

*- A stand in image for a recipe when no image has been selected. This could also act as an "Add image" button.*
    -> Adding a stand-in image would be easy. It's just a question of having someone make a decent graphic.
    -> Turning it into a button is a bad idea. I used to have lots of editable things in the recipe index view. Users got confused all the time, accidentally editing things when they're just trying to select a recipe to open it.

*Clear search field button, and focus attention on search bar.*
    ->If you implement this, I'd be happy to look at it. I'm not inclined to implement it because it seems like it would just clutter the interface. I'm pretty sure if you focus the search box with e.g. "Alt-S", it will highlight all the text. At that point, just typing will blank the box.

*In the recipe browser (search recipe) it would be great if the headers could be right clicked on and you could select from the items in that headers category. That would give you a way to narrow down the fields*

-I agree. This would act like filters in spreadsheets, which I'm a big fan of. The trouble is that I'm not sure GTK TreeView supports this - the standard behavior for clicking on the header is to sort, which is what Gourmet currently does.

*When you are editing the steps, there should be a symbols button, though really I just want to be able to add a degrees symbol. This could clue the program so that you only have to enter in C, but can then have a drop down to change it to F or whatever you want.*

Interesting… it might be fun to just autocorrect a numeral + C or numeral + F to use the degree symbol. The standard GTK way to do this is a bit hard to remember: type CTL-SHIFT-U 00B0 - this works in all applications, including Gourmet, on linux.

*I'd love some kind of number, list type system in my directions. I know it'd be kind of weird to have a format forced upon you, but just pick something that looks nice, and has space between the steps. Really though, I'm tired of writing them in myself.*

This is a good usecase for a plugin. The model plugin would be the gtkspell plugin, which gives you an example of how you can modify/access all the textviews.

*A hookup to my dictionary would be nice as well*
    Do you mean for spelling? If so, there's already a plugin providing spellchecking.

• RecentCoin
    RecentCoin
    2009-12-29

I have some suggestions - one for entering the pantry items would be the ability to use a bar code reader.    I also think that having variations on a recipies would be good.  And I think having substitutions (along with their nutrition informaton) would be handy.  And having the ability to add ingredients along with the nutrition information for them.    I'd also like to see the ability to link recipes.  For example, I make Hummus from scratch but in order to do it, I have to have Tahini but I make that from scratch too.  So I'd like to be able to link the tahini recipe to that as an ingredient in the hummus. 

I cook a lot of Asian, Middle Eastern, Caribbean, and South American food so I use a lot of ingredients you don't see much of in Joy of Cooking.    So I'd like to be able to add and edit the ingredients.  Olives for example can vary widely around my house.  Kalmata, Garlic Stuffed, Spanish, Oil Cured, Brined, Beer packed, vodka packed, stuffed with cheese, dry cured….  so not even an olive is simple.  But using an brined olive might be a good subsitiution suggestion for a picked olive.  So I would still like to be able to group them as "olive" for those purposes. 

I hope all of that makes sense.  One other thing I have noted is that I would to be able to rate the recipe from the recipe manager list screen instead of having to go edit the recipe to add a rating. 

• tom
    tom
    2009-12-30

midirr - I'm not sure why you'd want to enter pantry ingredients with a bar code reader. The goal of the pantry is not to reflect your actual pantry but to make it easy to see everything your shopping list calls for while not actually putting it all on your shopping list (see FAQ).

You can already add custom nutritional information for any ingredient you like.

You can already link recipes ("Add recipe as ingredient" from ingredient editor).

With respect to variations, this is frequently requested but it's not clear exactly what the best implementation would be. The best proposal I've gotten so far is for simply copying a recipe. That would create too basic methods for creating "variations" - one would be to use linked recipes (then you could easily do variations where there is a common base + different add-ons). The other would be to duplicate a recipe and then edit it.

• Stan B.
    Stan B.
    2010-02-10

Hey Thomas,

After reading the previous post  regarding  support for a barcode to assist in management of the pantry and shopping list, I have a couple of questions.  I am visually impaired (legally blind) and use GRM to assist me with my cooking.  I do not use the pantry and shopping list features as I needed the barcode feature to help me identify products and to read cooking directions for packaged items.  This is an application I created  and a bit crude but it works and maintains my inventory and shopping list as well.

It was my hope to learn Python well enough to possibly add those functions to GRM.  Currently there is no other prgram I have found out there that does all of this while being affordable or accessible for the visually impaired o blind.   My question is would such a plugin or modification  require significant program design changes and how  easily could it be incorporated?  Any information you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated and if  someone else is working on a project like this I would be glad to contribute/donate.
    Stan

• tom
    tom
    2010-02-11

srbass903 - Adding new code to GRM is quite easy as there is a plugin interface that already exists. I'm not sure what the application you created is exactly and what functionality it provides, but plugins can access pretty much every piece of Gourmet, so I would imagine no matter what you would be able to write a plugin that does what you want if you put the time in (or if a group of interested people do). I'm certainly happy to help with getting you started, looking at code, etc. I'm not anticipating having time to actually put into coding something like this (especially since I still don't have a clear sense of what the functionality would be)

• Stan B.
    Stan B.
    2010-02-14

Thanks Thomas!  I'llhave to familiarize myself a bit more with Python but so far it seems very intuitive and straight forward.  The plugin feature should make it much easier.  As soon as I finish up a home automation project I am working on I'll get started on this.  If anyone else is familiar with Python and is interested  I'd be glad to provide what I have and work with them in anyway.
    Stan