Menu

Some suggestions

Help
2004-01-29
2004-01-30
  • Josh Rehman

Josh Rehman - 2004-01-29

nice plugin. I have 2 suggestions for enhancements.

First, I like to mount tomcat as a project in eclipse, which makes accessing it very easy (the addition of external linking is a good idea, but this is even better IMHO). It would be nice to be able to right click on a log file and have log watcher watch it.

Second, there doesn't seem to be a way to persist watches across Eclipse invocations. This is a serious drawback to the plugin IMHO, although I hope that I am, in fact, missing something.

Once again, thanks so much for all of  your hard work and generosity!

• Gary

Gary - 2004-01-30

If I am understanding your second suggestion, you will find what you are looking for under the LogWatcher preferences. Look for "restore previously open watchers upon restart".

• Josh Rehman

Josh Rehman - 2004-01-30

Yes, that is good. A few more suggestions:

The chooser could be improved if it:
        1) remembered the last directory you are in. I often want to look at multiple logs in the same dir, and it sucks going back to your home each time
        2) it interpreted a directory string as moving to that directory (it currently exits the dialog and picks that string)

Both of these are standard behaviors.

*Really* nice features would be some built-in defaults so that it would work with tomcat and other similiar software, highlighting INFO, SEVERE, etc lines differently. I believe that EclipseTail does this. Log files often have an embedded date, and it would be nice if the watcher was smart enough to always look at the most current file (the one with the most recent embedded date).

I understand this is open source, and I would love to do these things. So I'm listing them in part as a todo list for myself :)