Cant read AVI in Unix

wlangdon
2012-11-28
2013-03-27
  • wlangdon

wlangdon - 2012-11-28

In unix (64bit Centos) GraphicsMagick-1.3.17 seems to have serious problems with AVI files.

With my non-ascii locale it appears to try and read binary AVI files as two byte characters
    and fails with:
    gm display: AVI chunk  (i2idatabase/i2iDatabase/AC/AC_Right.avi) .

In the hope of getting normal 8-bit characters, I cleared the environment variable LC_CTYPE
    This takes us to the next error.

If CT_CTYPE is cleared the same command fails with:
    gm display: AVI chunk 357 356 W 366 not yet supported (/cs/research/crest/projects1/ucacbbl/i2idatabase/i2iDatabase/AC/AC_Right.avi).
    (357 etc are in octal)

I'm guessing "not yet supported" actually means avi.c chunk_size and the avi file AC_Right.avi have got out of step.
    Bill
    http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/W.Langdon/graphicsmagick/

• Bob Friesenhahn

Bob Friesenhahn - 2012-11-28

This locale sensitivity is interesting.  AVI is a structured wrapper around a great many actual formats (some/many of them patented) similar to QuickTime and the format continues to evolve as new codecs are added.  The AVI reader has not been developed for a very long time and I am not aware of any modern AVI files that it is capable of reading.  I have been thinking of removing the AVI support entirely because claiming support for it is misleading.  Other software like ffmpeg and mplayer should be a better choice for AVI.

• wlangdon

wlangdon - 2012-11-29

Thanks Bob.
    Bill

ps: There is an erroneous space in the first line of rungm.sh which prevents it working with T-shell etc in unix. If removed,
    so rungm.sh starts with #!/bin/sh, then rungsm.sh works fine

• Bob Friesenhahn

Bob Friesenhahn - 2012-11-29

Yes, I noticed mention of the rungm.sh issue on your web page and was already in the process of submitting the fix.  Thanks for noticing and reporting it.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks