On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 10:59:11PM -0600, Don Allingham wrote:
> Place objects should be fully functional. Please try to break them.
- Place Editor: Source button is disabled
- Place list: Current person ist shown in the message box at bottom of
window. Is this a feature or should the current place be shown there?
- Place list is not sorted
- Other names: Add: Maybe the fields should be filled in from the main
entry? So that is is easy to just change the city name, leaving county,
state, country as they are.
- Quite often I have names of small villages with information "near some
big city". Does it make sense to have a "near" field together with the
country, state, etc? I can always put this in the notes, but it is easier
to print stuff properly in reports if it is put in proper fields.
- Shouldn't the address stuff use the place list, too?
- I need a way to join to places. I have several places in my database
twice, because I wrote them differently. This could work like this: Mark
a place in the places list. The go to another place, push the right mouse
button. A menu will pop up with a choice of "Make this an alias to marked
place". Or something similar.
- It would be nice if I can find all persons which have any record with
a certain place. It could work like this: I push the right mouse button
over a place record in the list and choose "Show records with this place".
A window pops up. Saying:
"What happend in New York:
Oscar Semmelbroesel, birth
Linda Landau, death" or simliar.
- There should be some guidance on what I can put into the Longitude and
Latidude fields. At the moment they seem to accept everything. If there
ever is a Tool that will take this information to maybe draw a map with
little dots for every place, the format of these fields must be fixed.
Do we use "49 17 03 N", or do we use "+49.234" or which of the many formats
that would make sense here? This is the same problem as with dates. To
be perfect, gramps should try to understand what format the user entered
and transform it to a sensible and stable internal format. But this is
not easy to implement and it can be done later if it is written down
somewhere what the format is so that we can start entering data in the
proper format. Maybe the 2 entry boxes should just be shorter and after
them print an example string, how the format should look. This is easy and
you don't need to consult the documentation.
Jochen Topf - jochen@... - http://www.remote.org/jochen/
Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.