2008/4/28 Kees Bakker <kees.bakker@xs4all.nl>:
OK. Thanks Gerald.

About 1.
It looks like nobody ever thought about "ondertrouw" so far, because it is
not translated as such in po/nl.po. Looking at wikipedia I get the impression
that marriage licence is indeed the same as "ondertrouw". Do we (Dutch and
Belgians) all agree that we'll use "Marriage License" for "ondertrouw"?

About 2.
Yes, adding a second event for "kerkelijk huwelijk" seems fine to me.
But isn't there an equivalent term for it in foreign countries?

As said in the other mail, you should not do this if you want everything to still be understood by the logic of GRAMPS as it is now and will evolve.
I updated a bit: http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Events_in_GRAMPS#Marriage

Consider adding the explanation for Marriage license. This wiki page will form the basis of the info that will be included in GRAMPS when event type system is improved.

Obviously, if subtype is ever created, you would benefit from being able to distinguish between the different types of Marriage event, so a fixed word in the description or a specific attribute would be handy. I'm sorry, the present system of event marriage is a copy from GEDCOM and is not perfect.


BTW. I noticed that I can create just any "Event Type" I want. Is there
any advantage/disadvantage of adding "Kerkelijk huwelijk" as a new Event

Another thing about 2.
There is a church or religion attached to a "Kerkelijk huwelijk". Were do i
record that attribute?

In The Netherlands the civil marriage has to take place before the marriage
in church. It is required by law. And what is considere the "real" marriage
is a personal thing. I'm not sure if a genealogist can always find out, or
even, can decide what the "real" marriage is/was. So, I'll use Marriage (or
Huwelijk) for the civil, and "Kerkelijk huwelijk" for the one in church.


On Sunday 27 April 2008, Gerald Britton wrote:
> 1. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ondertrouw
> "Ondertrouw is now analagous to the process of applying for a marriage licence"
> Use the Marriage License event.
> 2. Depends upon your conviction.  If you think the civil marriage is
> the "real" one, use "Marriage" for that one and add a new event for
> the church wedding (call it whatever you like).  If you think the
> Church wedding is the "real" one, use "Marriage" for that and perhaps
> "Marriage contract" for the civil wedding, or invent your own (bv.
> Stedelijk huwelijk of zoiets)
> Alternatively, use "Marriage" for both and use the description field
> to mark the difference.
> On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Kees Bakker <kees.bakker@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >  Two questions for experienced Gramps users.
> >
> >  1) (Dutch and Belgian specific, I think) How do I enter
> >  "ondertrouw" in Gramps?
> >
> >  2) How do I enter a religious marriage (kerkelijk huwelijk)?
> >  --
> >  Kees
> >
> >  -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >  This SF.net email is sponsored by the 2008 JavaOne(SM) Conference
> >  Don't miss this year's exciting event. There's still time to save $100.
> >  Use priority code J8TL2D2.
> >  http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;198757673;13503038;p?http://java.sun.com/javaone
> >  _______________________________________________
> >  Gramps-users mailing list
> >  Gramps-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> >  https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
> >

This SF.net email is sponsored by the 2008 JavaOne(SM) Conference
Don't miss this year's exciting event. There's still time to save $100.
Use priority code J8TL2D2.
Gramps-users mailing list