Menu

Welcome to Routing

Routing
2007-09-07
2013-05-29
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Welcome to Routing

• Nobody/Anonymous

That's great, I still can't believe you actually aim to implement real road routing!! :-)
      I even got it working for some small distance routes. However a few other tries resulted in "No target point found", especially when routing from Baumgartnerstr., München.

Regarding arrows: It might be good to have some small arrows or another visual clue in the streets when you don't have to turn to other roads. This'd give better orientation on long roads.

Stefan

PS: That's just a quick feedback after some minutes of trying. I'm still impressed!

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi Harald,

in the meanwhile routing functionality is getting clearer to me.

It seems some streets can not be routed to. But maybe that's because of unconnected neighbour streets in OSM data. If so, this WILL be fixed when every OSM mapper uses GpsMid. ;)

Arrow visualisation was a bit confusing to me in the beginning. An option to rotate the arrows to show where to actually drive to on the map might help here. But I see the point to show that the user has to turn to the left or right direction or go ahead. So I guess women will prefer the current visusalization ;)

The feature I missed most during my tests was to search for start adresses as well. I suggest when pressing the Search-Button to let the user select first, if he wants to enter the start address or the destination address.

The feature I missed second most, were keys to manually move along the route. I suggest to use *-key to move backward along the route and #-key to move forward. This could be combined with displaying "L to xy street"/"R to xy street" on an extra routing status bar. So status bars would read like this:

---------------------
      L to Dachauer Str.
      Untermenzinger Str.
      ---------------------

Keep up the good work :-)

Stefan

• Nobody/Anonymous

What means "Routing Ex Null" and "No Target Point found"?
      (demo on K750i)

Stefan

• james

james - 2007-09-08

"Routing Ex Null" this should never happen ;-) -> problem in routing data.

"No Target Point found": because of the very limited memory, there are two totally separate Dataspaces, one for displaying the map and one for routing calculations. For the Target, no matching point in Route-Data was found. Also a problem in osm2gpsmid.

Pls remember, this is experimental. There is still a lot of work to optimise memory usages and performance.

BTW i'm searching for co-developers ;-)

• sk750

sk750 - 2007-09-10

As I guess I'd not be suited myself as co-developer with neither Java nor J2ME nor vector graphics nor CVS experience... I hope you find some good co-developers - GpsMid is such an unbelievable project and you already proved it really can be done! But if there's anything else I can do like giving feedback on new versions before they get released - just let me know...

Stefan

• Nobody/Anonymous

You can highlight all the road segments that belong to the route. User will easy to follow the route.

I also develop a routing application for mobile. My application highlight the route and can show the road names that belong to the route. User will know which road name they need to go along in order to reach the destination.

You can try my routing application at http://www.digitalmobilemap.com

VGPS

PS:
      As far as I know, OpenStreetMap does not have routing nodes information in their database. So how you manage to add the routing nodes information into your OSM map data?

The authors of JOSM application may need to add this function to their program: "Automatic generate routing node at every coinciding nodes of polylines"

• Michael Schwegler

"As far as I know, OpenStreetMap does not have routing nodes information in their database. So how you manage to add the routing nodes information into your OSM map data"
    Nachdem die ersten Tests mit GpsMid auf einem SE C702 erfolgreich waren bin ich natürlich an Erfahrungen anderer mit dieser Software bezüglich des Routings  interessiert und würde gerne diesen Foreneintrag dafür weiterführen.
    Da -wie ich es bisher verstanden habe- mit GpsMid keine Straßennamen oder Städtenamen eingegeben werden können navigiert man wohl allein üer das Setzen von Zielpunkten.  Oder kennt jemand andere Navigationsstrategien?

• Billi25

Billi25 - 2011-12-14

Hallo Mschwelger,

Ich bin mit dem routing vom aktuellen GpsMid sehr zufrieden, Auto, Rad und per pedes klappt es super. Und das suchen nach Namen (Orte, Straßen, Restaurants etc) funktioniert auch. Selbst Hausnummernsuche klappt recht zuverlässig. Einfach die Suche öffnen und per Nummernblock den Namen eingeben. Bsp. "Hauptstraße" als 42878787… tippen. Auf dem SE C702 kann die Suche bei großen Karten (Bundesland) manchmal etwas länger dauern, also Geduld. In der Trefferliste kannst du dann mit hoch/runter die gewünschte Straße wählen. Wenn es viele "Hauptstraße"n gibt, so kann man mit "*" die Wörter der Liste einzeln ausblenden. Alles Klar?

Gruß von billi25

(for non-German readers: He asked about the current status of street name search. He was unaware that any name and even house numbers can be searched directly by input over the keypad. I gave a short introduction.)

• Michael Schwegler

Hallo billi25,
    selten hat mich ein Foreneintrag so begeistert. Intuitiv und mittels einschlägiger Infos im Internet (z.B. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Adresseingabe_für_Navigationsprogramme) erschliesst sich nicht diese Suchfunktion.
    Sofort konnte ich Dank Deiner Anleitung navigieren. Wir sollten den Wiki-Eintrag ergänzen. Diese Software ist hervorragend -und wenig wissen das. Danke

• Michael Schwegler

Nachtrag: Bis auf Straßen mit Umlauten klappt alles prima. Wie aber, wenn die Straße "Schloßmühlendamm" (Hamburg-Harburg) heißt?

• Billi25

Billi25 - 2011-12-15

Danke. Ich habe ein GpsMid mit Sachsen drauf, daher "Schloß Übigau" statt dem Damm gesucht und dafür "7255671842…" getippt. Klappt wunderbar :-) Freizeichen und Sonderzeichen sind die 1. Umlaute sind wie bei deutscher Belegung zu finden.

Gute Nacht

• Michael Schwegler

Guten Morgen
    müsste es nicht mit 724567…. beginnen oder hab ich das nicht verstanden? Gerne lade ich mir einmal die Karte von Sachsen drauf und wandere zum "Schloß Übigau" wenn es mir denn gelingt das Wort über die Tastatur einzugeben ;>)
    Schönen Tag

• Billi25

Billi25 - 2011-12-16

Richtig, ich denke du hast das System verstanden :-)

• Michael Schwegler

Hallo billi25,
    es ist schon erstaunlich, dass bezüglich dieser sicherlich hervorragenden "Offline"-GPS-Navigationslösung im Internet lediglich zur Erstellung von Karten etwas zu finden ist. Nun entnehme ich Deinem Beitrag vom 14.12.2011, dass Du bereits Erfahrungen mit GPSMID gesammelt hast. Könntest Du nicht Tipps zu den Voreinstellungen hier ins Internet stellen. So entlastet vermutlich eine sinnvolle Reduzierung der POI den Rechner (das Handy) und -weil Du es auch zum Wandern benutzt- sind Deine Erfahrungen hier sicherlich auch bei Besuchern dieser Webseite von Interesse.
    Wie wär´s z.B. am Beispiel einer interessanten Wanderung im Land der Sachsen, die mit Hilfe von GPSMID geplant, mit optimale Konfiguration des Software durchgeführt so einem Schwaben die Behauptung streitig macht, dass es nichts Schöners gäbe als das Schwabenland?
    Gruß nach Sachsen.