gpsmid - minimal vs full

Help
2012-07-30
2013-05-29
  • john3voltas

john3voltas - 2012-07-30

Is there some document that explains the difference between minimal and full?
    I need to be able to have a BT GPS antenna, see the map, routing, track logging.
    In this case, can I use minimal instead of full?
    I tried and apparently minimal doesn't have BT GPS connection. Is that so?
    Cheers

• sk750

sk750 - 2012-07-30

yes, it has no BT GPS, minimal is practically only useable as offline map viewer without GPS

• Jyrki Kuoppala

Jyrki Kuoppala - 2012-07-30

The definitive source is the capability lines in custom-devices.xml.

Full:
    <capability name="JavaPackage" value="location-api, webservices, btapi, obex, pdaapi, fileconnection, mmapi, wmapi, 3dapi, svg, nokia-ui, min-siemapi, min-samsapi, bigsearch"/>

Minimal:

<capability name="JavaPackage" value=""/>

There's a Generic/minimal-bt target which would be minimal + BT (capability btapi). To save tracks to SD card you'd also need capability "fileconnection" I think.

• john3voltas

john3voltas - 2012-07-31

Do you mean I can tweak it to my liking?
    Can I create something like this?
    <capability name="JavaPackage" value="btapi, nokia-ui,"/>

• sk750

sk750 - 2012-07-31

If you're compiling GpsMid from the source code as described in the wiki - yes.

• Jyrki Kuoppala

Jyrki Kuoppala - 2012-07-31

I think earlier I suggested a "midsize" version between minimal & full. Maybe we could try that now. Perhaps location-api, fileconnection, nokia-ui, bt-api - anything else? I forget what pdaapi is for, would that be needed for a typical "feature phone" user?

If bt or locationapi makes a big difference in size or memory consumption, perhaps consider even separate midsize-lapi & midsize-bt versions.

• Jyrki Kuoppala

Looked at the sources, seems actually in practice pdaapi and fileconnecion will need to go together to make saving tracks possible, as in FsDiscover fileconnection functionality is under pdaapi condition. Also in GuiCamera pdaapi is used for fileconnection. I wonder if it'd be more clear to use fileconnection also in those places.

• Jyrki Kuoppala

There's now a midsize version in the current snapshot, cust-devices entry is below. Please tell if you get better success with this.

<device supportsPolishGui="true">
    <identifier>Generic/midsize</identifier>
    <description>This device is the minimal requirements for GpsMid + locationapi + bluetooth + file access. It's got a smaller in-memory footprint than /full.
    </description>
    <features>isVirtual</features>
    <capability name="JavaPlatform" value="MIDP/2.0"/>
    <capability name="JavaConfiguration" value="CLDC/1.1"/>
    <capability name="JavaPackage" value="location-api, btapi, pdaapi, fileconnection, nokia-ui"/>
    </device>

• john3voltas

john3voltas - 2012-07-31

Very cool guys.
    So, in order to use this snapshot do I need to compile from source or will it be available in the next nightly?
    Also got a question regarding nightlies: when I try to run osm2gpsmid it creates a gpsmid that after installed on my phone keeps bugging me about user permissions.
    Is it possible to overcome this issue? Is there maybe a possibility for me to self sign the midlet myself?
    If not, the nightlies are simply not useful because it is too much annoying.
    Regards.

• Jyrki Kuoppala

To use the midsize snapshot, you don't need to compile from source, it's in current Osm2GpsMid snapshot.

The permissions issue is caused by the J2ME-created gpsmid not being signed. In the J2ME world, signing generally requires buying a certificate from a certificate provider. But I understand at least for some phones there are some methods for self signing.

On some (most?) phones the permissions can be changed in an app manager or some other manager so that permissions will be asked only once per startup, not every time GpsMid accesses e.g. bluetooth or location API or a file.

• john3voltas

john3voltas - 2012-07-31

To use the midsize snapshot, you don't need to compile from source, it's in current Osm2GpsMid snapshot.

Errr, what do you mean by "the current O2G snapshot"? Do you mean the latest nightly?
    Like this one?

Latest (non-debug) version: Osm2GpsMid latest ( 13M,Tuesday, 31-Jul-2012 09:11:23 UTC)

The permissions issue is caused by the J2ME-created gpsmid not being signed.
    In the J2ME world, signing generally requires buying a certificate from a certificate provider.

Yes, I am aware of that. Its a big bummer not being able to install what I want…

But I understand at least for some phones there are some methods for self signing.

That's what I've been looking for but I can't find anything that works.
    At least not for Jar's. For sis's I've found some self signing tools that might work but not for Jar's.

On some (most?) phones the permissions can be changed in an app manager or some other manager so that permissions will be asked only once per startup, not every time GpsMid accesses e.g. bluetooth or location API or a file.

On my Nokia 5220XME (s40) this is only possible on signed Jar's.
    On non-signed Jar's that option (ask only once) is there but not available (greyed out).
    Does anyone know a workaround?
    Cheers

• john3voltas

john3voltas - 2012-08-01

I've just noticed that I have the same issue on my Nokia E51.
    It just doesn't allow running unsigned Jar's without asking me millions of questions.
    I thought the E51 (being an S60) wouldn't have all these traps.
    Guess I'm gonna have to learn on how to install the dark certificate after all…
    Thanks.

• Libor Striz

Libor Striz - 2012-08-02

In my experience running unsigned GPSMid JAR makes sense only for Midlets with integrated maps and all files.

ZIP based maps are slow due inferior Nokia implementation of big file access.
    And every time access confirmation of external files is not acceptable.

• Jyrki Kuoppala

Jyrki Kuoppala - 2012-08-02

On all the Nokia S60 devices I've used GpsMid with, I've been able to set the permissions for an unsigned midlet with bundled map so that the phone will ask for access to location API  only once at startup, not at every access. For GPX exports, permission has been asked everytime. A bit annoying to my taste, but I've been able to live with that.

Don't remember for sure, but I think also performance for bundled maps is better than for zipped maps. If a signed GpsMid is used, probably helps to have an external uncompressed map (dontCompress=* in .properties I think), might still be slower than with a bundled map, at least the startup is slower.

Don't remember how this was with S40.

• Libor Striz

Libor Striz - 2012-08-02

For E52 / S60v3,
    I confirm that not about location and GPS export confirmations.
    So do I agree with bundled vs ZIP map performance.

• Libor Striz

Libor Striz - 2012-08-02

"confirm that note", not "confirm that not", as it give very different sense :-D
    ( oh, those my typos, I do not like the lack of post editing feature )

• john3voltas

john3voltas - 2012-08-02

(…I do not like the lack of post editing feature )

Me neither.
    I wish the forum was phpbb or similar. The search would work much better and we would be able to edit posts, etc.
    Much more functional than the forum provided by SF.net.
    SF.net used to have HostedApps. One of them was a proper forum like phpbb but they have discontinued the HostedApps program…

• Jyrki Kuoppala

Jyrki Kuoppala - 2012-08-02

Anyone happen to know about new versions of the SF platform and upgrading projects to use new versions? I think I've seen some SF projects which have things like wiki (not hosted mediawiki but directly), not sure about post editing or better tracker but maybe that, too.

• john3voltas

john3voltas - 2012-08-02

I honestly don't know anything about SF.
    All I know is that their search engine is a mess compared to any php forum search engine out there, be it SMF, phpBB, IPB, vB, etc.
    A good forum/wiki/search engine are halfway through for a project to grow.

• Libor Striz

Libor Striz - 2012-08-02

As alternative, one can use google with a delimiter like e.g.:

inurl:sourceforge.net/projects/gpsmid/

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks