Menu

linux keyboard shortcut command

Help
Tri Le
2010-08-24
2013-04-25
  • Tri Le

Tri Le - 2010-08-24

I'm running googsystray 1.2.1 on archlinux.  I don't use any desktop environment.  My window manager is icewm.  The googsystray keyboard shortcuts don't work for me.  I think I have to manually bind them.  What are the commands for various shortcut?  I'm particularly interested in "send sms message" and "make a phone call".

• Tri Le

Tri Le - 2010-08-24

The keyboard shortcuts only work if I have googsystray preference window open and in focus

• Jim Duchek

Jim Duchek - 2010-08-24

Hrm, that would make them pretty useless…  That sounds like the root window bindings aren't working - the shortcuts should work at all times.  There might be problems if another app (or the window manager) binds to those particular combinations already.   Now that I think about it, there might be problems if googsystray is started before the WM, although I'm not positive about that.   I'll look into it. 

• Tri Le

Tri Le - 2010-08-24

I'm sure nothing is bind to those shortcut keys.  I tried starting googsystray after WM but the keys still didn't work.  Can I manually bind these keys in my window manager?  For example, "googsystray -c" open preference window, are there similar commands for other windows?

• Jim Duchek

Jim Duchek - 2010-08-24

Hrm, there's definitely something specifically funky going on with icewm and the global hotkeys.

• Jim Duchek

Jim Duchek - 2010-08-24

It looks like the 'Win95Keys=1' (by default) option in preferences seems to be a problem.  It may be related to icewm grabbing the root window too… (GrabRootWindow=1).  At any rate, it looks like icewm is doing something weird to grab the keys (binding the super_l key in, say xfwm, doesn't cause a conflict with googsystrays cntrl-super-<key> combos).  Turning that Win95Keys=1 option off seemed to make things work ok - I don't know if you use those keys or not.

• Tri Le

Tri Le - 2010-08-24

It works…thank you so much…I was considering switching to another WM like openbox