Crash on start

Help
Jim
2009-12-12
2013-04-25
  • Jim

Jim - 2009-12-12

I'm running googsystray on Windows XP and it seems to crash as soon as I start it. Both the "regular" and settings option have the same result.

• Jim Duchek

Jim Duchek - 2009-12-12

Logs?  They should be in your temp directory, likely:  C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Temp\

• Jim

Jim - 2009-12-12

err.log contains:

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "googsystray", line 33, in <module>
      File "googsystray\GMain.pyc", line 2, in <module>
      File "gtk\__init__.pyc", line 48, in <module>
      File "gtk\_gtk.pyc", line 12, in <module>
      File "gtk\_gtk.pyc", line 10, in __load
    ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.

• Jim Duchek

Jim Duchek - 2009-12-12

Interesting.  Have you had a working version of googsystray running in the past?  Do you have another version of GTK installed?  And just to verify, you downloaded/ran googsystray-1.0.1.exe to install?

Jim

• Jim

Jim - 2009-12-12

Never had it working before. I just downloaded the file today. I don't believe I have any other GTK apps installed, but I'll look again.

• Jim Duchek

Jim Duchek - 2009-12-12

Either that or possibly another install of Python.  Any GTK+ based software might do it as well (GIMP, for example).. I'm afraid I don't know a whole lot about in what order Windows decides to load DLLs, so if there are others on the system it may attempt to load those first and screw things up.

• Anonymous - 2009-12-15

I have the same Problem on two totally different XP systems, one of them brandnew and empty (a on Friday bought Acer netbook), but there is no errorlog generated, seems that they crash to fast for a log. When i start the program i can see it appear in my taskmanager about less than a second.

• Jim Duchek

Jim Duchek - 2009-12-15

Does the settings window come up if you open the 'Googsystray settings' link in your start menu?

• Jim

Jim - 2009-12-15

I uninstalled the version I had, installed the new version, still no dice. I did install it on my linux partition, works great.

Also, are you sure there aren't any logs? On XP, they are in \Documents and Settings\&lt;Username>\Local Settings\Temp

• Jim Duchek

Jim Duchek - 2009-12-15

heavyd:  Your error is still pretty weird to me.. not sure exactly why it's having problems.  Is it installed in C:\Program Files\googsystray or somewhere else?   Is gtk._gtk.pyd in that directory?

• Jim

Jim - 2009-12-15

It's in the standard location and gtk._gtk.pyd is present.

• Jim Duchek

Jim Duchek - 2009-12-15

That's the file it's failing to load - it seems like it finds it, but it's not 'right' for whatever reason.  Could you do a system-wide search for other files with that name?  Also, could you md5sum it (or at least verify that it's 1,794,560 bytes?)

• Jim

Jim - 2009-12-15

1,794,560 bytes

C:\Program Files\googsystray>md5sum gtk._gtk.pyd
        c7016db90609237d6c779cd11b35cb2d *gtk._gtk.pyd

• Jim Duchek

Jim Duchek - 2009-12-15

Okay… that's right.   Any luck on finding another copy of that file anywhere?  If not, I'll build you a new version with some debugging stuff thrown in to try to figure out what's going on.

• Jim

Jim - 2009-12-15

Nope, no other files with that name.

• Jim Duchek

Jim Duchek - 2009-12-15

Are there files called 'xmlparse.dll' and/or 'xmltok.dll' in your windows system/system32 directories?

• Jim

Jim - 2009-12-15

Neither.

• Jim Duchek

Jim Duchek - 2009-12-15

Hrm… Could you email me (jim.duchek@gmail.com) an entire directory listing of your system32 folder?

• Anonymous - 2009-12-17

Version 1.0.3 corrects the GTK loading problem.  I had the same issue. 

Jim - you may want to add an option for Google Apps users.  For example, my mail app is a Google App, and the remainder of the services use my gmail login, so you may need a separate setting for Mail and Google Services.

• Jim Duchek

Jim Duchek - 2009-12-17

Allright, I'm gonna close this then and do an actual 1.0.3 release tonight.  As far as the apps/vs gmail thing goes, I'm not sure of a clean way to handle that.  Somebody feature req'd supporting multiple addresses, which is probably how I'd handle this, but it's probably a way out.

• M^3

M^3 - 2009-12-18

I was having the problem of googsystray closing soon after it opens and not showing any icons with 1.0.1,.1.0.2 and 1.0.3.  I renamed the old "c:\program files\googsystray" folder and installed fresh and then it worked fine.  I used winmerge to compare the folders and there was **a lot** of junk left behind by previous versions.  Maybe the installer should clean up the folder before putting in the new files?

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks