GoogSysTray 1.1.2 on Vista

• Jeffrey A. Krzysztow

This is great work! Thank you for the undertaking. This tool has upped my usage of Google in general!

Two things on the Vista (Window 32) version:

1 How can I get back the single-left-click to launch the services?

2 The font size goes smaller after the Mail Icon is shown. The menu, the about box, preferences. The only menu item that is still the original font size is the Reader Icon menu and that is because it was shown before the Mail Icon was shown. As least this is what I believe is going on.

• Jim Duchek

Jim Duchek - 2010-01-05

1> Not going to happen.  I haven't done much yet with the context menus on the right click, but I will, it'll be worth giving up the left-click to the service… essentially that was just a static bookmark anyway, and there are other ways of having bookmarks if you want them.  I'd really love to be able to use a middle-click as well, but alas, the system tray won't let me.

2> Yeah… People were complaining about how big the popup windows were (they're fine on my 1920x1200, but I can see it being an issue on smaller screens :)  So I kind of 'cheated' with the 'popup size' stuff, and basically told the GTK toolkit that the screen was a different DPI than it actually is.  So the first time you bring up one of the popup windows, it resets that.  There are better ways of doing it, but I was in a hurry.  It'll get sorted out, but probably not until 1.3.

• Jeffrey A. Krzysztow

Thing is I don't want to have to right-click, find the menu item (which is already there) then select it. One click and we were at the correct place. So you have other plans for left-click?

Also, the pop-up will not go away when focus is lost or I click somewhere else. It only goes away if I actually select a menu item.

• Jim Duchek

Jim Duchek - 2010-01-05

The left-click opens up the popup window to review emails, respond to texts, etc.   The right-click context menu will eventually have stuff like making phone calls, messing with your contacts list or calendar, etc.  I really needed both of those things for the functionality I want to implement, and it just seemed a static bookmark was kind of a waste - you can always put a link to on your desktop. 

Yeah… There's not much I can do about that.  You can right-click again on the icon to make it go away without selecting something.  In SVN I have a timer that makes that work a little cleaner, it'll be in 1.2.