#224 Windows error: GO Contact Sync Mod has stopped working

v3.5.1
closed-works-for-me
Ronny
5
2014-10-08
2013-11-28
No

Honestly, I have delayed submitting a ticket for this because I feel like I have too little information, but I have been stuck for weeks, so here is my trouble ticket.

Basic issue: when I run GOContactSync.exe v3.5.25 (or.24), the mouse pointer will rapidly vacillate between a normal pointer and the system-busy pointer (not merely the active window is busy, but the system is busy). After 30-90 seconds, Windows will show a dialog box with an error message and two options.

1 Attachments

Discussion

  • Hunter Hogan

    Hunter Hogan - 2013-11-28

    Sorry. I thought "Save" meant save the attachment, not submit the ticket. I have much more information for you, and I will add another comment to include the rest of the information. (I couldn't see a way to edit the original ticket.)

     
  • Hunter Hogan

    Hunter Hogan - 2013-11-28

    [Ironic: I can edit the comment but not the ticket.]

    The attachment above is the error message. The behavior is 100% reproducible--not intermittent.

    **Organization: some background, my system information, then troubleshooting steps

    *A little background
    I have been using Sync Mod long enough that 1) I can't remember how long it has been, and 2) I started with the project this projected is forked from.

    I believe that I have used the software, in different versions, on five different computers, including XP, Win7, and this computer, which had Win 8 and is now 8.1. In all of the time I have used the software, I do not recall seeing this problem. If it has happened before, it was not persistent like it is now.

    Third, 3.5.24 did work on this computer.

    I cannot think of a major change to the system, either hardware or software, that could have caused this. But, like most users, I have installed an uninstalled various software. Unlike most users, I not only keep my system files up to date, I review all of the changes before I apply them. The only changes I have rejected are optional things like Bing Desktop.

    Because I am sure someone will wonder if 8.1 is the problem, I am 100% confident that this problem started happening before I upgraded to 8.1. Furthermore, upgrading to 8.1 has not changed the behavior in any way.

    There is one change, however, that might be important. I was successfully using 3.5.24 on this computer with Windows 8. For reasons unrelated to the software, I uninstalled it. Later, I decided that was stupid, and I wanted to use it again. By then 3.5.25 had been released; I downloaded it, installed it, and that is when the problem started. The software has not worked once since I tried to re-install it.

    Recap: 3.5.24 was working fine. I uninstalled 3.5.24 from Windows Control Panel. Weeks later, I installed 3.5.25. The behavior described above has happened ever since I installed 3.5.25. 3.5.25 has never worked on this system.

    *Current system configuration
    Gateway laptop, 4 GB ram, pentium
    Win 8.1, fully patched
    Outlook 2007, fully patched
    Outlook plugin-type-stuff: GPG, Outlook Connector (to Hotmail), ODIR [of those, based on my memory of when I installed them, I think only GPG is a candidate for causing the problem]
    .js files are associated with Microsoft Based Scripting program (I've never changed this, but it is something I noticed)
    Windows Defender is the only real-time anti-Malware, no Norton BS or even AVG
    What else is important?

    *Troubleshooting
    Uninstalled and re-installed both 3.5.25 and 3.5.24 about a zillion times. Including with and without Outlook open, clean boots, closing as many programs, taskbar icons, and background processes as possible, and praying to the silicon gods. I never see an error during installation or un-installation. After un-installing, the icons are gone, so a superficial look at the un-installation says it was successful. I've tried both user options: just me or all users. I'm the only user account, and I have admin privileges of course.

    I've used the compatibility thing a million times. Sometimes on auto, sometimes I go to the program and try various old OS. Running as admin doesn't work either.

    Not one troubleshooting step has changed the behavior.

    I've attached the debug info from Event Viewer.

    I think that's everything. I have no idea what information is useful or what the next step is.

     
  • Ronny

    Ronny - 2013-12-06
    • status: unread --> open
     
  • Florian Saller

    Florian Saller - 2014-01-11
    • status: open --> pending
    • assigned_to: Ronny B.
     
  • Ronny

    Ronny - 2014-10-08
    • status: pending --> closed-works-for-me
     

Log in to post a comment.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:





No, thanks