Menu

New Rule Table called Particles

2011-02-24
2013-06-05
  • Joel Walker

Joel Walker - 2011-02-24

Particles is a cellular automation rule that I invented in early 2011. Particles is loosely based on Wireworld, with a few differences: Particles move through open space instead of wires, and they can also collide to create, move, or remove blocks. This means that a Particles system could reproduce itself.

Particles has 9 states, 4 of which are used for creating, moving, and removing blocks. SimpleParticles is exactly the same, except that it does not have those last 4 states. This means that it cannot reproduce itself, but SimpleParticles can still be used to create extremely complex systems (see MemoryChip.rle).

You can download these 2 rule tables and some interesting examples at the ruletablerepository, under the WireWorld and derivatives section. Please tell me what you think.

Thanks.

• Andrew Trevorrow

Hi Joel.  Your Particles rule looks very interesting at first glance, but I'm not much of an expert on those sort of rules.  You're more likely to get good feedback by going to http://www.conwaylife.com/forums/ and starting a new thread in the "Other Cellular Automata" section.  That forum is by far the most active site for CA enthusiasts.

• Joel Walker

Joel Walker - 2011-02-26

Hi, Andy.
    Thanks for the tip. I am just starting in CA, so I really appreciate your help. I will add a new thread in the conway life forum as soon as possible.