Menu

GNU debugger software and steps guide in Linux platform.

GnuCOBOL
2024-09-04
2024-09-04
  • Anshul Agrawal

Anshul Agrawal - 2024-09-04

Hey,

I am working a new project which is running GNU 2.2 vers in Linux platform. As of now we are debugging the process with the cobol tracing option which is more tediuous work.

Can someone help me how to configure gnu debugger in Linux Putty? Please suggest.

Appreciate for the response.

• Simon Sobisch

Simon Sobisch - 2024-09-04

I highly suggest to upgrade to GnuCOBOL 3.2 (or at least 3.1.2) as this includes a lot of changes to make using GDB directly much easier. It is also needed if you possibly want to do core-dump debugging.

Version 3.1.2 is also the prerequiste for COBOLworx cbl-gdb which makes the whole debugging within GDB a lot easier.

If you want to run on the terminal using PuTTY and can't move from GC2 you may try to use cobgdb - while it officially asks for GnuCOBOL 3.1.2+ it is not unlikely that it works with 2.2 "in general" (I think no one has tested this so far). This is using GDB "under the hood" and may provide an "easy" COBOL centric interface.

... but no matter how you decide - GC 3.2 is:

• backwards compatible (all programs generated with cobc 2.2+ are expected to work with 3.x runtime without any problem)
      • performing faster with less CPU resources
      • needs less memory at runtime
      • has even more developer tools and improved tracing
      • has several bugfixes
      • has new features you may not need if the project is already "working"

See https://sourceforge.net/p/gnucobol/code/HEAD/tree/tags/gnucobol-3.2/NEWS for the huge amount of directly user-visible changes (there are even more in the ChangeLogs).

... so considering switching to a new GC version is a smart move in any case :-) and also extends the options you can use for debugging.

😕