Menu

COBJAPI, Menu Example Sample Fails with 2073

GnuCOBOL
2022-06-28
2022-07-04
  • Rich Di Iulio

Rich Di Iulio - 2022-06-28

Hi All!

I was working on my application when suddenly, it failed with an error code 2073 for Cobjapi.
    The error is with JAPI_SHOW. I am running on Linux Mint 21.3 and using GC 3.1.2 with the latest version of Cobjapi.

I am using this version of Java.

java --version
    openjdk 11.0.15 2022-04-19
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.15+10-Ubuntu-0ubuntu0.20.04.1)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.15+10-Ubuntu-0ubuntu0.20.04.1, mixed mode, sharing

I then started running all the Example Samples to see if any of them failed too. The only program that failed was menu with the same error code. Now in my terminal process on the desktop, I received a number of messages from Java. I have attached a file containing them.

I then went to my Windows 10 PC and did the same test. All the Example Samples worked, but my program does not. I am not sure how to determine my version of Java on Windows 10. I was able to thank to Arnold Trembly a version of GC 3.1.2 working with VBISAM. However, I cannot get COBOLwork to work with 32 bit GC.

So I am stuck for now, cannot continue developing my application in either Linux or Windows.

Rich Di Iulio

• Simon Sobisch

Simon Sobisch - 2022-06-28

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
      at de.japi.components.Japi2Menu.setFont(Japi2Menu.java:28)

That sounds like something that is solvable easily. @laszloerdos Could you have a look at this?

• László Erdős

László Erdős - 2022-07-03

Hello,

unfortunately I cannot reproduce the setFont error with the example program with Cygwin/Windows 10. Have you modified the program "menu.cob" and are you using the J-SETFONT function for menus?

You can turn on the trace in the menu.cob example, delete the comments on these lines at the beginning:
    > MOVE 5 TO WS-DEBUG-LEVEL
    > MOVE J-SETDEBUG(WS-DEBUG-LEVEL) TO WS-RET

You wrote: "when suddenly, it failed with an error code".
    That means everything worked before. Maybe you changed something in your Linux configuration or made an update. Or something reconfigured with the fonts?

Is there really a Linux Mint 21.3 version?

Br
    László

• Rich Di Iulio

Rich Di Iulio - 2022-07-04

László,

Sorry, I meant to say version 20,3 of Linux Mint. I did not modified the program menu.cob. I did not use J-SETFONT in creating a menu.

I will try and trace more closely to see if I can see what is going on and report back

Rich Di Iulio

• Rich Di Iulio

Rich Di Iulio - 2022-07-04

László,

Okay I simplified the creation of my menu and was able to get it to display. I then modified the menu.cob program to show debug messages as you suggested. Attached is a file containing the information. Hope this helps.

Rich Di Iulio

Last edit: Rich Di Iulio 2022-07-04