Any synaesthetes here?

2009-09-16
2013-05-30
  • John Knight

John Knight - 2009-09-16

G'day all,

I was wondering how many people here have various forms of cognitive synaesthesia , and in what form you have it? Also, if you are a synaesthete, what kind of physiological reactions do you have to binaural brainwave entrainment?

If you're wondering just what on earth it is I'm talking about, check the BBC's article at:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8248589.stm
    entitled ' Can You See Time?'.

I'm trying to get an idea of what kinds of brains react to binaural entrainment, and in what ways. Check my other thread above this one for brain typology too if you can - hopefully I can find some common ground in all the data….

Cheers!
    John

• CS dude

CS dude - 2010-07-27

Hi-

Yep, I'm one.  Audio into tactile: sounds have touch sensations.  This works particularly for human voices, but also for some other environmental sounds.  This has been going on since at least age 3 that I can recall.  Needless to say I find cellphone audio highly annoying:  like listening to music underwater or holding hands with someone while wearing winter mittens.  Sometimes I get audio into visual, primarily in the form that certain music tends to create "mind movies," though this appears to be more of a cognitive effect rather than a hard-wired sensory effect. 

Unrelated to synaesthesia but worth mentioning: a pretty good ability for the usual mundane forms of psi, most often precognition, that being the thing that got me interested in consciousness studies in the first place.   If anyone else here has ongoing psi experiences and takes a down-to-earth attitude about them, that might make an interesting topic for discussion.

My responses to binaural beats in the past have been pretty standard and as expected (this by way of using material from the Monroe Institute and also DIY binaural beat soundtracks produced on analog audio equipment years ago).  I just discovered the open-source program for doing this so I'm getting back into it and will report on results from time to time. 

• John Knight

John Knight - 2010-09-04

Interesting stuff, thanks! I've a friend who's a smell synaesthete, who smells words, and a friend who perceives people as colours. Personally, I've always had colour in regards to music, letters, numbers, and words. However, I'm starting to lose that 'sense' with music at least, with it being replaced with these moving images of the song in strong blacks, whites, and silvers. In these scenes are strong geometries in morphing shapes. Double-kicking drumming particular is like small black explosions coming at you in quick succession with a slight white ring around (probably why I got into double-kick drumming with such enthusiasm).

• Fern Owl

Fern Owl - 2010-09-12

I don't know if this is a type of synaesthesia or not, but here goes. When most people are making a decision, they can pick out 3 to 10 possibilities that might happen should they choose to do A versus B. But I see thousands of very distinct possibilities. In fact, they are multi layered, much like a spider web. So if I chose A versus B, there will be multiple choices radiating out from each letter, and from each of those radiates out many more. I honestly don't know how deep it goes as it tends to get mind boggling before I can get through them all.

But the funny thing about it is since my brain injury which damaged my white matter, I can still set everything branching out around me, but there are blank spots within it, much like what someone with macular degeneration would see. but the blank spots are both an inability to see the spider web of connects AND an inability to follow the path into the blank spots.

As for how binaurals affect me, I have yet to break all the way into the blank spots, but if I follow a possibility while listening to binaurals I can see partly into the blank spots but have yet to break through.

At the same time, friends use to call me the human calculator but since the accident I have been unable to do math in my head. I have been doing repeated test and most of the time I can add or subtract 2 digit numbers in my head. Add in a third digit and I may or may not get it right. Add a 4th or 5th digit and I can not come close.

By testing myself while listening to a 7.5 hz binaural, 3 digits become easy, 4 digit are at better than 70% correct and 5 digits are seeing some improvement.

I have only been working with this for a few weeks so only time will tell if it will help me get back to where I use to be.

• John Knight

John Knight - 2010-09-13

Dude, that is freaking awesome.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks