SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

Several questions about binaural beats

Daniel
2012-06-14
2014-02-01
  • Daniel

Daniel - 2012-06-14

1. How to judge whether a subject can truly feel a third beats caused by the binaural beats? Through self-report of the subject, or through some objective measurement equipment? In Oster’s 1973 paper, this question had not been explained. If it is the former, how can we efficiently get the spectrum of the beats? If it is the latter, what quantitative data we can measure?

2. How to confirm the frequency of the third beat is exactly same as the subtraction between the two input sound signals?

3. When I listened to the sample files of binaural beats, I cannot perceive any difference when I use take one earphone away and use only one ear to listen.

Thank you!

Daniel

• Rllear

Rllear - 2012-11-29

Hello Rllear here,
    Did you find out how GNaural calculates the difference? eg: If I want to use 174Hz as my base and 10Hz as my binaural, that means I can use 174Hz in One ear and 184Hz (or 164Hz) in other ear making the difference 10Hz. Did you find out how Gnaural calculates the frequency to work with the base frequency? And if so which frequency does Gnaural use, the freq above the base or below the base. Thank inadvance. Feel free to give links to other forums.

• Caid Donahue

Caid Donahue - 2014-02-01

Dear Daniel,

Try adjusting your signal amplitude, by adjusting the volume up and down.  For myself, having listened to Base Frequency A, with Beat Frequency B, my volume may need a slight increase or decrease to capture the beating tone.  I know it sounds strange, but fine tuning the volume can help perceive the beating tone. Generally the louder the volume the more easily to capture.  Keep it up!!!