Arbitrary movement directions - level design?

GLtron
2007-05-25
2012-09-15
  • Andreas Umbach

Andreas Umbach - 2007-05-25

GLtron supports arbitrary movement directions (diagonal etc.) now. See

I'm looking for level design sketches that make use of the new 'arbitrary movement directions' feature. For example the '8-way-run' level looks like this:

http://www.gltron.org/images/8-way-run.png
    http://www.gltron.org/images/8-way-run-2.png

Upload your sketches somewhere (e.g. www.imageshack.us) and post the URL!

How is it done? Basically you can list all the possible directions you can move to. The level description contains

axis = {
    { x = 0, y = -1 },
    { x = -1, y = -1 },
    { x = -1, y = 0 },
    { x = -1, y = 1 },
    { x = 0, y = 1 },
    { x = 1, y = 1 },
    { x = 1, y = 0 },
    { x = 1, y = -1 },
    }

(with these directions, moving diagonally is actually 40% faster than moving vertically or horizontally, but of course, that's tweakable).

Of course, the next step is to support 'zones' e.g. areas where you can move diagonally, and areas where you cannot (zones would also allow for 'safety' regions where you don't leave a wall behind you), but first things first...

• Andreas

• Draken Stark

Draken Stark - 2008-12-01

Rather than more than one set of compass directions, perhapse there should be a free turning mode. I would believe that would add more apeal with the boost and wall break features as well due to sarcastic people playing chicken. Also that new tr2n movie seems to have the same free motion, could add some fresh spice to the project if you could. ^^

• Draken Stark

Draken Stark - 2007-05-25

Sounds awesome... just need to take the time to wip out some scrach paper again or think of some basic ideas. Shouldn't be too hard to do!

Just wow, I never saw this kind of gameplay opening up in this game. Should be interesting!

• gltronsky

gltronsky - 2008-07-11

First time I saw this topic^^
      Could someone please explain me what I have to do be able to move in the way as seen on Andys pictures?

• Draken Stark

Draken Stark - 2008-08-25

This is a very old game, which sadly has been dead since the first of this year. It seems Andreas (One of the writers behind GLTrons code) either got a life and/or a good job. He has at least publicly annouced that he now has his own family and it has very high priority over this game. As far as I know he has never released the complete source code of GLTron so noone has been able to pick up the project. At the very least noone's desided to pick it up if it were offered :(

• Draken Stark

Draken Stark - 2008-08-25

I should also mention this game is over 6 years old. Since I was a freshmen in highschool. I have very fond memories of this game, but sadly there's nothing that can be done unless somehow (and preferably) Andreas gets reinspired to finish the game to the big 1.0 (excluding Networking)

• gltronsky

gltronsky - 2008-08-26

I also know the game since this time.And I know that Andreas is not working on it anymore(thats really sad btw).But I wondered if someoneelse could tell me how to to get this 'arbitrary movement directions'.Was this feature really made possible,or was it only planned?

• Andreas Umbach

Andreas Umbach - 2008-08-27

It's been added to the game (see screenshots in my original post), but I'm not sure if it made it into the berlios SVN, or the sourceforge CVS. I'll try to clean up my source directories and at least commit the different changes I made into different branches, so all source code is available, but perhaps not in a very consistent state.

Response on the feature has been less than stellar though, as you can see from the lack of replies in this thread.

• harris andreson

harris andreson - 2010-04-03

He has at least publicly annouced that he now has his own family and it has
    very high priority over this game. As far as I know he has never released the
    complete source code of GLTron so noone has been able to pick up the project.
    At the very least noone's desided to pick it up if it were offered :( itil ce
    rtification
    )

Love you all from Harris

• LordArtanis

LordArtanis - 2010-04-14

If this was implemented, is it possible with the recent, several years ago
    released, 0.80 alpha? It would be very interesting to use diagonal directions.

• LordArtanis

LordArtanis - 2010-04-14

Forgot...

• Artanis

• s1urpy

s1urpy - 2010-07-07

hello i have been following this game since high school my self to be honest.
    i created this account so that i might ask bout setting up gltron with the new
    movement on my pc. i checked the website but im not very good with data
    libraries. curious if there might be a setup exe floating around that i just
    havent found. btw gratz on the youngins. sorry if im a bother. but i have
    searched sourceforge and onlyy find version .70 and checked svn.berlios, but
    like i said not good with data libraries any help would be appreciated.
    preemptive thanks.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks