SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

improvement I'm unhappy with...

GLtron
2004-06-20
2012-09-15
  • Nobody/Anonymous

The way the AI begins aggressively turning when I get near. I understand why this was implemented, but for me at least it removes some of the fun. Before the boost had been added it was great to ride right up on the side of an opponent and try to slowly catch up by cutting corners. You could see the enemy light cycle just ahead of you. It felt very much like the movie to me.
    The way it is now I don't want to try to accelerate past the opponent. Riding that close is impractical. The way the AI behaves I'm more inclined to just race a large box around him, rather than trying to outmaneuver him.

When the boost was first added I hoped that the improved AI would be something more akin to the AI opponent trying to accelerate to stay ahead of you. Not cutting back and froth across the map like mad.

I don't mean to complain. I love the game and I appreciate all the time that has obviously gone into it. I look forward to every update. I just mention this in the hopes that something a little more artful in the way the AI reacts might be considered for the future. Thanks.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I think somewhere along the line, Andreas is gonna advance the AI so that it actively hunts you out. That might improve thigns. But I see your point. If the AI had human nature programmed into 'em, the game would be pretty cool.

Andrew

• Nobody/Anonymous

I would actually equate the current AI pretty closely to human nature. Whenever I play with my roommate he turns rapidly back in forth in the same manner that the AI currently exhibits.

What I mean is I would rather see the computer have a (slight) edge on speed and use it if I get near rather than turn back and forth as I approach. I think it would emulate the film a little more closely. Even if it is alittle less realistic to how two humans would play.

The AI hunting you would be very nice though.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Must be pretty stupid humans to box themselves in as a strategy! Yeah, that part isn't_exactly_ realistic...

Andrew

• Nobody/Anonymous

True. But that's not the part meant. I'm just talking about the part where you are running up along the enemies light trail. The enemy is just ahead of you. The enmy responds to your presence by zig zagging back and forth to force you into a wall.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Yeah. Actually, there's a spinoff of that certain character of the AI, that's actually pretty realistic. When they turn, and you turn, you both start to zig-zag back and forthsort of like a game of chicken* at 800 MPH (Or 764 KPH for you metric system* people). When I play with someone else, that will actually happen.

*For you people who don't know what chicken is, I'll explain (it's probably you metric peopleyou know how bothersome they are ;)

Chicken is a stupid game played by not very smart kids (I don't even know if its still played anymore. Probably so). Basically, two kids get on bikes. Starting far apart from each other, they race toward each other as fast as they can. The point is to keep going strait, but someone freaks out, and turns at the last minute (did I spell that right?). The person who turns first is the "chicken" and also the loser. Pretty stupid and dangerous game, eh? You can also play with cars, or bike vs. train, but the latter only was suggested, and that was in a Calvin and Hobbes strip.

*The metric system is great and all, and probably makes more since, but I'm a whole lot more used to the American system. Just joking with the "Stupid metric system people," bit ;)

Andrew

• Nobody/Anonymous

What about implementing a genetic algorithm for glTrons AI? I think this game is the ideal battleground for an AI that gets smarter each round. The survival of the fittest could be applied to those lightcycles that survive crashes. Their "moving pattern" gets spawned and the more one plays the better it gets. Or it could be trained in advance and "shipped" with the game...

• Nobody/Anonymous

Yeah, the last post's idea is superb. But have you got any idea how much work this needs? I think that it would take andreas much more time than he would have available to devote to GLTron. This project needs much time and more programmers in order to be completed

• Nobody/Anonymous

"This project needs much time and more programmers in order to be completed"

Sure, but we can least wish.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Okay, well, then we'll form a hit-man party. Let's go capture all the coders we know, and then some. We can capture the whole microsoft corporation!wait we certainly don't want THEM on the project; they'd bungle up everything.

Andrew

• Nobody/Anonymous

haha i kno what u mean

• Nobody/Anonymous

haha i know what u mean i am a biggener programmer to those microsoft guys are not to great at makeing games except halo

• Nobody/Anonymous

Microsoft didn't actually MAKE Halo, they just bought the company that did, Bungie. Which is a shame, as they used to be a Mac only company :(

• Nobody/Anonymous

They made stuff for Windozein fact, they were mostly Windows, but they always made their games for the Mac, too. Stupid Microsoft. They snatched away Bungie when they were still making Halo, and told it "Make Halo for the XBox." Funny how the best game on the XBox came along because Microsoft bought a company and forced it to release the game out on XBox :P

• Nobody/Anonymous

wow i didn't know that :)